Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Defretting Question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Buzz Fretboard, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Hi everyone!

Buzz Fretboard here with a defretting question for YOU! Yes, YOU!

I have a Washburn XB100 P-Bass that I'm looking to make fretless, but don't want to ruin the neck doing it (this'll be my first time.) There's a lot about sanding down the neck during the process, some using a radius block, some just using paper and going by feel. My question is this: what am I doing to my neck by sanding? Am I alright using sandpaper and TLC, or do I need to invest in some tools and look out for things like curvature and neck radius?

Help! I need somebody! Help! Not just anybody! I need to tap the vast storehouse of knowlege and experience that only Talkbass.com can provide! HELP!!!

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    There's actually only very little sanding necessary.
    After you heated the frets (e.g. with a soldering iron) and pulled them out, you have to fill the gaps with e.g. wood glue and/or wood or plasic strips.
    Then, to get a smooth fretboard, you need sand down the excess material.

3. When I defretted my bass I did a bit of sanding. Before filling in the holes and after and between coats of polyurethane. I wouldn't go with some kind of guide. So what I did was buy this sponge thing with sandpaper wrapped around it. The sponge is stiff so your fingers shouldn't affect the accuracy of the radius.

4. How do I go about defretting my bass, any info would help, thanks.

5. Any effort on your part would help also - just look in the archives for this info. We answer this question about 5 times a week here in Setup. Everyone seems to think they are the first or only people to want to know this.

Chasarms did a great job of documenting his refret. You can look up his website for a comprehensive look at the process.