1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

defretting. should i change the nut?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by benchpress11782, May 6, 2010.

1. benchpress11782

benchpress11782 Supporting Member

May 23, 2007
    Hello all. I have a SR 506. I took the frets off, and now waiting to fill it in with vaneer, and then apply a two part apoxy to it. I am assuming that the epoxy will raise the fingerboard quite a bit. So my question is, should i and how do i change the nut. How do i remove? and apply again? It is all the way up the fb. plastic. Tried popping it out, but didnt want to apply too much pressure. Any ideas? Oh by the way, I want to make it a fretless. lol

2. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    You'll have to lower the slots in the nut. Epoxy will not, "raise the fingerboard".

3. Think about how tall your frets were. You'd have to build your epoxy up that far before you'd need a new nut, and that would be far more than you would ever need.

4. Fretless bass nuts need to be properly slotted for good playing action, correct intonation and open string mwah. Cutting the nut slots properly for a fretless bass can be a difficult task for the novice. You can maximize the mwah across the board by setting the neck straight with no relief or as near to straight as possible.

"Mwah" = that midrange-y, singing sound that many people look for in a fretless bass. The "mwah" is especially apparent when sliding between notes on a string, so there's no fretted-bass equivalent.~Jsonnenblick

5. benchpress11782

benchpress11782 Supporting Member

May 23, 2007
    SOOOOO. Is this a difficult task? Should i leave it to the pro? ANd is there a pro that would take on this task? guitar center, sam ash etc? Makes sense now. Thank you.

6. KimblesNimble

KimblesNimble

Jan 10, 2008
    I'm at the same stage now. I'm doing it all myself for the experience regardless of the outcome. See what happens. I'll post when done (prb another 12 years judging on my progress speed)

7. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    >>SOOOOO. Is this a difficult task?

Fairly.

>>Should i leave it to the pro?

Yes.

>>ANd is there a pro that would take on this task?

Guitar techs, repairpersons...

>>guitar center, sam ash etc?

No. No.

>>Makes sense now. Thank you.

You're welcome.