Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

defretting the essex

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassist4ever, Sep 14, 2002.

1. well after a little thought and the need for soemthing a little different in my line up, i've decided to defret my essex jazz.

i already removed one fret with the toenail clipper idea with no chipping at all, just a little bit of roughness from the "teeth" on the fret

so list what i need to do after i get the frets out if you would please?

2. well i have all the frets out with very minimal chipping, 5 chips out of 20 frets, using toenail clippers, now its time for the 200+grit sand paper and the wood filler eh?

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    use the search... lots have covered this.

I've defretted many basses. I coat with 2 part epoxy and wet sand with 600grit between string changes (stainless steel rounds)

Have fun

4. Ewww, wood filler looks fugly. Get yourself some birch veneer(sp?), and shove it in there.

I should have used the veneer, I made the mistake of trying something new and filling the holes with polyester resin. It was a pain, and it didn't turn out to nice looking. But ya, know, it still plays! Well not right now, damn bridge ripped out of it....

5. well i managed to do this for a total of 4.18 USD (not counting the bass)