Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sir Psycho, Jun 28, 2001.

1. Sir Psycho

Sir Psycho

Mar 20, 2001
    What are the disadvantages, when converting fretted bass to fretless... I mean what differences there might be when comparing a defretted bass to factory-made fretless... May the fret markers be a major problem?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No, you can just fill the gaps, and sand it smooth afterwards.

A disadvantage maybe the construction or the wood/hardware combination of your bass, that might not be the best choice for fretless.
    For example, NOBODY would make a fretless with a maple fretboard.
  3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
  4. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    He, first, beloved bass, an old unfretted Ibanez, had a plain cellulose laquered maple board!:p:p:D
    Got you on that one, JMX!;)

Used gruondwounds on it, had no grooving problem for the three years I used it. Not even needed to sand the laquer.:)

And then I sold it....buuuuhuuuah:(
  5. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I could be wrong here, but I thought Jaco's Jazz bass had an epoxied maple board?
  6. Jaco's basses were epoxied rosewood.
  7. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Would you elaborate a bit, JMX? Why would one not defret a maple board?

Tnx, Pkr2
  8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    There is nothing wrong with a maple fretless board. Fender made a maple neck fretless from the factory in the 70s. They sound great. It ijust isn't convensional. If you fill the frets on a maple board, use something dark like rosewood or ebony. It would have that negative look. I think it would be very cool.

9. Although most of Jacos basses were rosewood I do have a video with Jaco playing with the J Davis group. He was using a Jazz with a fretless epoxied maple fretboard with block inlays!!
  10. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    ive got that video too and the combination of the fretless maple and the 70's jazz with the bridge pickup that's closer to the bridge all added up to tone that sounded like poo.