Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Defretting

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Apr 9, 2003.

1. I have searched for this, but it gave me little help, I plan on defretting my squier P/J bass. I could use a list of supplies, and also a couple of tips making it easier, perhaps some link to a place where they know what they are doing that would be cool.

2. It depends on how professional you want it to look, if you don't mind that it doesn't look that great you can do it for real cheap. Take a fishing knife and dig around the frets, pop em out. After you get all the frets out, fill the space with wood puddy. Let the wood puddy dry and coat the fretboard with epoxy. I did this to a crapper that I have and it actually sounds great. I'm still using roundwounds on it, but it will do until I can afford an actual fretless. Having the fretmarkers will help you out a little too, but after a few minutes you forget all about em and just start feelin the music. Have fun! Also, if you search the web they will have good tips, some are to use a soldiering iron to heat the frets and then take them out and instead of using wood puddy to use wood veneer. Try what you feel most comfortable with.

3. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    follow that pages instructions theyre good. i used (mostly) that page to do my fretless yesterday. the one thing that you should really do is mask your board with tape and be very careful when pulling the frets out. i used a soldering iron to heat the entire fret across the board to make it easier to pull out. get some lemon oil to liven up the board and clean the dust from sanding off. dont use a lot of pressure sanding the board, especially the middle, dont want to mess up the radius too much. while the strings are still off, go ahead and lower your pups and saddles, you'll want much lower action on the conversion.

4. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    http://www.geocities.com/charlesarms/

this site is also useful. good luck finding the 1/32 hardwood birch though, probably need a local hobby shop to get that. i couldnt find it or anything else similar in the area i live.