1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Deftones bassist (Chi Cheng) gear question

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Outlaw_son, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Outlaw_son

Outlaw_son

Mar 8, 2007
    Omahell
    Does anybody know what set up Deftones bassist Chi Cheng uses? Or what equipment he recored "Shove it" and Change(in the house of flies) with? Does he use effects? Looking for a similar overall tone of his.

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    He uses Ampeg amps, SVT2 Pro heads and SVT410 cabinets and Fender basses. IIRC he used a P bass in the "My own Summer" video.

3. Chi is an Ampeg/Fender guy. He mostly used Fender custom P-Basses. Only effects that I know of is a Sansamp Tech 21 GT2.

4. Outlaw_son

Outlaw_son

Mar 8, 2007
    Omahell
    is he a finger-style or pick player?

5. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    Fingers.

And don't forget about the fretless P's he used to great effect on the White Pony and self-titled albums.

6. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Great bassist! Nothing to flashy but he holds down a solid low end groove. Custom Fender P-basses w/a jazz in the bridge (sunburst w/ano. gold p/g, rw board) - some were fretless, SVTII-Pros, and SVT810's last time I seen him. Sansamps as well.

7. pizzazombie

pizzazombie

Dec 19, 2012
    Switzerland
    he also used a sterling bass in the 7 words video i think... i hope he gets well soon :(

8. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    Every so often I check out the One love for Chi site for updates on Chi Cheng's condition. He seems to be making improvements. As for him making a full recovery? I just don't know.

As for Chi's gear? For a long time he was playing Fender American Deluxe Precisions. Notably, the 4 string model that had the big humbucker in the bridge position. That's what he was playing when I caught the Deftones playing a festival gig in Miami, and that was over 10 years ago.

9. Any idea what he uses on - "Dai the Flu" ?
    Sounds very fuzzy, yet has so much substance and punch behind it.

10. Sorry to ask in this old thread, you now what pick ups are those?

chi_cheng_deftones_josh_sanseri_001-copy.
    [​IMG]
    chi-cheng-dies-lead1.

11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Is there something on the magnets? The first pic just looks like a typical American Deluxe P (pre 2008) but the P pickup has something over it. That something is found in all the other pictures. That is why I think it is just some kind of cover. I am probably wrong though. I have never seen pickups made like that, those covers are odd if they are made that way.