Deftones' Chi Cheng= The Fast Show's "Swiss Toni"

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Bass Player Dec' 03 issue- turn to the back page for words of wisdom from Chi Cheng;

"Playing bass is like making love to a woman"

-followed by a rambling piece relating his sexual and musical experiences, something about Zen Buddhism, blah blah.

for those of you who didn't see UK's The Fast Show, Swiss Toni was a character who ran a car showroom, but when showing the ropes to a new employee always managed to compare various tasks (eg. selling a car, washing a car, making coffee etc.) to "making love to a beautiful woman"-
    incorporating various puns along the way.

so if he was talking about bass playing, he'd say "you preferably need a longscale, make sure you're tuned up to pitch" and probably something about "losing interest when you unplug"-

any other puns?
  2. Essexbass

Nov 8, 2003
    Reading, U.K.
    What a great TV show!!

Chris Waddle.....:D
  3. I particularly liked the Channel9 News sketch in which they didn't have any news- "nea neus",
    and in the embarassing silence all they could nervously offer was-
    "er......ChrisWaddle?" :D

the "Gizmo" ads have been stuck in my mind recently-
    multo, multo function moronico proboscis en agrofos etc.
  4. Essexbass

Nov 8, 2003
    Reading, U.K.
    I also liked the weather girl (Paola Fisch - "Scorchio!") and the sports reporter Antonios Gubba with his whistle!

Difficult to name just two characters, but if I was pushed, I'd go for Johnny Nice Painter ("Black!, Black! - they're coming to seal our doom!!") and Louis Balfour (Hi - welcome to Jazz Club....great!).

Cheesy Pease?
  5. did you also watch Absolutely, the Channel 4 sketch show?
    it sprung to mind that Paul Whitehouse's "Brilliant" character is similar to Morwenna Banks' little girl character "I know what hostibuls are"-
  6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    What he had to say in that article was very wise advice. He summed up my feelings about bass playing in that page.

I guess you have to really READ what is there to get the full meaning of it.
  7. did he mean you have to get your bass in the mood with fine wines and Belgian chocolates?:p
  8. Essexbass

Nov 8, 2003
    Reading, U.K.
    I'm afraid I didn't catch that show - the one I keep meaning to try and watch is "The Office". All the people at work and a few of my mates keep telling me how funny it is.....I just keep missing it (probably end up buying it on DVD!).
  9. What's for tea mummy? PINS ON TOAST!?!?!?!

Sminky pinky hethepethethethetheth - Chrith Waddel.

Ted and his master were great, all the gay tension was hilarious. I remember the time where Ted and his friends were playing the game were every other word had to be a vegetable, following a series, and the master had to tell Ted about his wife's death while sticking to the code:

"Ted, potato, your, cabbage, wifes, cucumber, dead, tomato."

10. anyone watch Grass, the sitcom based around Fast Show character Billy Bleach (Simon Day)? it also features Fast Show regular Mark Williams (you ain't seen me roight, which was nice, I'll get me coat etc.).

it's okay, not as formulaic as the Swiss Toni sitcom they tried.

re. The Office, I'm not a fan- i don't like Ricky Gervais, and it borrows a bit too much from Alan Partridge.