defusing the tweeter of a combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by old-fashioned, Mar 29, 2005.

1. old-fashioned

Mar 25, 2005
    I've got an SWR Basic Black combo. It has a tweeter on it, but it is out of order, and I don't want to use it (it makes hisssssss). So I just took the connectors of the tweeter off. Now they are open (or not connected) ... The amp works OK, but a friend of mine told me that this not good for the amp itself. What should I do? :help:
  2. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    If you took the connectors off at the tweeter end, then you should be okay as long as you tie down each end away from the other. You don't want to short those. Other than that, however you disconnect it is fine. It shouldn't affect the impedence of the combo's cabinet section significantly enough to cause problems.

I do think you will miss the treble though, and if you do a search you'll find plenty of excellent information on tweeter upgrades that you may want to consider. Particularily with SWR's Foster or Le Son tweeters, upgrades make a significant difference and can smooth the sound out quite a bit. SWR is reputed as being somewhat harsh in the highs. Some like it, some don't, but I personally found a better tweeter made a huge difference when I owned an SWR cabinet.
  3. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    The best thing to do is cut the wires off cleanly and put a piece of tape over the ends to prevent shorting. Then remove the tweeter and fill up the hole with automotive body filler (Bondo) available at any auto parts store. Before slapping in the putty, put a few layers of masking tape tightly across the back of the hole and lay down the cabinet. This will hold the putty in place until it sets up. When it is all done plug in your bass and listen to the wonderful sound your bass makes without that stupid tweeter. ;) ;) ;)
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the title of this thread made me think of some guy in "mission impossible" type garb with a wire cutters, sweating bullets wondering which wire to cut so the bass amp doesn't blow........... ;)
  5. old-fashioned

Mar 25, 2005
    Here is a very, very, very late thank giving for your replies...
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    So what happened with the tweeter???