1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Degreasing" Hwy One Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Earthquake, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Earthquake

Earthquake

Dec 19, 2007
    SoCal
    I never really liked the trebly sound of my 2006 Hwy One J, so I removed the resistor and .1 and .022 caps and rewired to standard J with a radioshack .047uF cap. Now It has the "growl" it was missing before. I highly recommend "degreasing" if you are not 100% pleased with the greasebucket tone circuit. It costs about 1 dollar and takes about 1/2 hour from start to finish.

2. On my Highway One (2010) Jazz, I removed the Greasebucket, put a 0.047 cap, put some Wizards 64 pickups, remove the Badass for a vintage style bridge, put a good set of DR Lo Rider, and a perfect setup....
    Now, it's just the best Jazz Bass i owned.

3. Earthquake

Earthquake

Dec 19, 2007
    SoCal
    I totally agree nightvision. I love this bass now! It fills the "sonic space" so much better now with my band. I love the feel of the neck, I love the weight balance, It sounds so good now. I have not played a better Fender.

4. :bassist:
    I forgot, I also change the neck volume pot to a push pull for a serie/parallel wiring. It's the best JB and also one of the most versatile bass :)
    Growl, low mid bump, vintage and warm sound, great for all styles.
    I fookin' love this bass :cool:

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    +1

That grease bucket tone control is stupid.

6. EmptyCup

EmptyCup

Feb 25, 2013
    Nashville Area
    +1
    I've got a 2006 Hwy one (Honey blond) P bass and removed the whole pickguard. Installed a red tort guard with 2 new CTS 250k pots and a .047uf SBE orange drop, and switchcraft jack, and used the original (supposedly American) pups.

BIG improvement. Highly recommended for that classic P sound.

I didn't need the pickguard but it looks great, and I spent less than $50 on everything + a little time under the hood.

P.S. All you really need to do is change out the caps to the .047uf

7. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    In fairness, it's a mod for guitar, not bass, and it makes a little more sense in its intended application.

Why they put it on the basses, I can't imagine.

Some HO basses came without it in the final run.

8. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    I don't like it on guitar either. I like the tone that you get when a tone control is on zero, even on guitar. You get that nice little resonant boost that sounds like a wah pedal parked in one spot. The grease bucket removes that boost. It just sounds bland to me.

9. Earthquake

Earthquake

Dec 19, 2007
    SoCal
    David, do you think a Vitamin Q .047 cap would make an audible difference?

10. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    In tone controls any .047µF cap within spec will sound the same.

11. If or this reason (resonant peak when tone is rolled 100% off), I think a vari-tone type control is much more useful than anything ... The LC resonant peak between the inductance of the pickup(s) and the capacitor sounds really cool... And having different resonant frequencies on tap is even cooler

12. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    That's a decade control, and yes, that's a cool way to do it.
    lots of different tones on tap.

A Varitone has an inductor and notches out the midrange frequencies. Those are also very cool. I had an '81 Les Paul Standard that I rewired to have a master tone and a Varitone.