1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

degrees of separation between you and ??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by peteroberts, Apr 6, 2006.

1. OK, you know the Kevin Bacon six degrees of separation thing, right? Let's try it with musicians - starting with you. How far up/back can you go?

Here's mine:
    I played with Dan Matrazzo, who played with Sco (concerts w/Gov't Mule). Sco played with Miles. Miles played with Charlie Parker.
    Did Charlie Parker ever play with Louis Armstrong? If so, I can link myself to him in 6 degrees...

2. joninjapan

joninjapan

Aug 13, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    When I was just starting, one my regular substitute teachers in High School (in Tallahasee) was Mr. Adderley, he has a couple famous sons(Nat and Julian)... who everybody played with.... Just after graduation, I was asked to play bass with a guy named Glen Hardin, who was visiting, found out afterwards he had just left a job as Elvis's pianist! he also worked with Ron Tutt, Jerry Scheff, Herb Pedersen, Emory Gordy, Brian Ahern, James Burton, John Denver, Emmylou Harris, Rodney Crowell... glad I didn't know that before I played. (Speaking of Elvis, I met him before his 68 comeback when he was in Houston... I was only 8, but I knew who he was!!!). My friend Dave introduced me last week to Bill "the rubberhand man" Sharp, who was in town playing with Dave Koz (sax) and also tours with Cher, and he and Dave are both friends of James Tyler, who makes the best basses.... if he would only make a few more!...

not quite six degrees.. more like three or four;)

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Kevin Bacon. One Degree. We played a show with the Bacon Brothers last year.

4. Mike Money

Mike Money In Memoriam

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Gary Willis:

My friend Travis took lessons from him... 2 degrees

Korn:

Connected various ways... average of 2.747859493 degrees.

Blink182:

My old bass teacher went to high school with Mark Hoppus... even worked at a pizza joint or something with him. 2 Degrees

Ozzy/Sharon Osbourne:

My sister just had surgery last week by the same doctor that did sharon's colon surgery. 3 degrees.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Soundgarden:
    I'm friends with Ben Shepherd. I jammed with them more than once. 1 degree.

Billy Sheehan:
    I got a couple informal bass lessons. Billy Sheehan knows Steve Vai. Steve Vai knows David Lee Roth. David Lee Roth knows Eddie Van Halen. Eddie Van Halen knows Sammy Hagar. I drank some Cabo Wabo Tequila the other night. That's something like six degrees right there.

-Mike

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I studied wit Kai Eckhardt
    Kai Played with John McLaughlin
    John played with Miles
    Miles played with Bird.

Also:

I had lessons with Michael Manring
    Who had lessons with Jaco.

I own a bass that belonged to Scott Henderson
    Who plays with Gary Willis and played with Jeff Berlin.

I could go on...

7. thats cool...you should get me an autograph...

i guess mine would be...i talked to a guy who jams with ben shepard ;)

8. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    !! I am actually only two degrees away from Diz, Bird, Max, etc.

I've studied and played in a quartet *faint* with trumpeter Don Stratton, who was best buds with Diz and played with Everyone. The man is like 75 and he is an AMAZING creature. He also got married - again - for the Nth time a few weeks ago. Helluvaguy, :hyper:

I spent a week studying with Reid Anderson (The Bad Plus). Does that count for anything? :>

9. OK It doesnt count if you just know them. You have to have played with them at a gig or on a record.

10. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    my drummer played with Everclear.

old guitar player played in a band with guys from My Life With The Thrill Kill Cult.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    There is a guy who works at the Southcenter GC in Washington State that laid down the bass tracks on several songs from the first Linkin Park CD.

I've talked to him a few times. Dude is quite cool, despite his LP connection. :D

-Mike

12. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    I played with Eric Kloss, who played with Jack DeJohnette, Pat Martino, Dave Holland, Chick Corea, etc.. That puts me a few degrees from most of the jazz world. We used to rotate the Jazz Brunch at Station Square in Pittsburgh with Harold Betters. Jammed once. Betters played with Basie, etc.

But I was also in a band that when it broke up, some of the members went on to found Rusted Root (and I always disliked their music)

13. Cloggy

Cloggy

Apr 5, 2006
    :eek: I played in a band and met an ex member who was Adolf Hitler's favourite!
    2 degrees!
    Help!
    Shaken hands with R2D2.
    Spoken on phone in to Buzz Aldrin.
    ½ brother did session for Michael Jackson.
    It's a small world...

:)

14. Tony Bennet:
    My bass teacher used to play bass for him in the band. 2 degrees

Michael Allan Harrison:
    The General Manager of the Beaverton Guitar Center is his brother. 2 degrees

Geddy Lee:
    Jammed with him during my last stint at GC. 1 degree

Chris Isak:
    One of my fellow workmates goes to church with his drummer. 3 degrees

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Rock on
    Eric

15. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Well I attended a Dave Leibman masterclass (if that counts for anything). That links me to people like Elvin Jones, John Coltrane and way more.

16. One of my old teachers used to jam with the guys from Devo.:bassist:

17. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Whoa. :eek:

18. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I've played shows with Lloyd Brevett too...he taught Aston Barrett how to play bass and also was a big personal influence on Flabba and Robbie Shakespear. So, one degree from him, 2 from the others, it also puts me 2 degrees from Bob Marley, as Brevett played with the Wailers. Played a show with Neville Staples of the Specials, so one or two from them. Also have shared bills with Abyssinians, Inner Circle, Toots, Mad Professor, Yellowman and others. Pretty much one or two degrees from all of Jamaica.

19. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    And Eric Clapton! ("I Shot the Sherrif")

20. Yeah, that was about what I said. He and Neil both came into our store right before their big concert here in Portland back in '02. Neil didn't play, he seemed really tired or something. But Geddy got this funny "Boy in a candy store" look when he saw our bass display, with 4 brand new Geddy signature basses. I think I was the only employee who recognized him. Once I told them who he was, they went gaagaa, but up till then they just thought he was a really good bass player who loved Rush music.:D

Rock on
    Eric