1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Deja Vu -- Stingray 5, M-Audio ProFire 610, Logic 9, Stylus RMX

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Lorenzini, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    http://www.filedropper.com/dejavuv2

This is a classic pop track. If you haven't heard the original, you should -- it is a work of art! :)

I was doing an A/B test with the Firewire 410 and ProFire 610 and decided to turn this into a real clip. I used the audio from the 610, as it did sound a bit better, with better bass response and clarity. I'm still not satisfied as the unaffected sound was quite compressed as a result of going through the interface. Oh yeah, this was the first and only take.

Otherwise, I think it's a cool track.

EQed the bass, squashed it with the default Platinum Compression, and did the rest of the rhythm entirely within Stylus' effects (which are quite good).

4 elements of rhythm: Kick, Claps, Shaker and Hi Hats.

Let me know what you think!

2. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Should I really have to *bump* this? Is Rapidshare too annoying?

3. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Sounds great! What is it strung with? What were your EQ settings on the bass...?

4. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Thanks!

Bass is strung with D'Addario Pro Steels, 45-130.
    Strings have about 7 hrs of playing time.

EQ settings on the SR5's preamp: bass +3 dB (at about 2 o clock from 12) mids and treble flat. My assessment of the Pro Steels are that they are flat on the bass, scooped in the mids and hyped on the treble. I much prefer Hi Beams, but got this set of Pro Steels for $12 on sale.

EQ settings in Logic's Channel EQ: +14dB from 63Hz down to 20Hz.
    -2.5dB at 1000Hz, Q extended from 500 to 2k.
    +4.5dB from 6500Hz -20kHz

Basically boosted the lows, cut some of the ugly Stingray mids, and boosted from 6.5kHz up, to give it some additional zing.

5. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Thanks for the info! Very nice. I like what you did.

I use EB slinky's on my Ray5. They seem to sound best on it. I'm trying Dunlop nickel's on it next. I've never been a fan of stainless strings, though; the Pro Steels sounded amazing on my L-1000--just amazing...

Stingray mids are never ugly. Mids are your friend. To me, the Ray's have an over abundance of high end. They can sound harsh. I find myself rolling highs off until the strings are worked in a bit. I also boost the low end a bit. Your plucking hand position will make a big difference as well. Even as little as plucking over the front or rear coils of the same pickup makes a pretty big difference.

6. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Glad you like it and that it could be of assistance! I may continue to put more stuff up, demoing other instruments I own, getting feedback, etc.

Well, different tastes for different ppl, for sure. The SR5's mids (especially with ceramic pups) sit on the high end 1k or so. In other words, harsh and bitey. This is just not a "hi-fi" boutique mids sound, but is great for cutting through in the mix for rock, pop etc.. The highs to me also sit quite low in the spectrum, which is why they are so clanky and rock sounding so that's why I boosted from 6k - 20k.

This is where Bartolini pickups (as an example) are generally more "hi-fi", because their frequency range is a bit more extended and voiced this way.

This is what I have personally noticed, of course.

7. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    IMHO... yes.

It only allows 10 downloads before it's no longer available.

So no one else can hear it now.

8. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Doh! Try the new one: http://www.filedropper.com/dejavuv2