1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Delano JMVC 5 with 17.5 mm spacing

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Envincibal, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Envincibal

Envincibal Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Philly, PA
    Has anyone tried the Delano JMVC 5 with a 5-string with 17.5 mm spacing? I'm really interested in these pickups for a Pedulla Rapture RB that I'm redoing as a 3-pickup bass (J/SB/J), and it seems that if I want the JMVC, I might have to order them with custom spacing (20% increase in price).

The other option would be for the Delano JC 5 HE (I have a set of Delano SBC 5 HE/S in another Pedulla and LOVE the way they sound, but from what I've been reading, regarding the J pickups, the JMVC are more aggressive than the JC5HE).

I play metal (mostly Maiden & Sabbath type stuff). The preamp in the bass is going to be an Aguliar OBP-3.

Any thoughts?
    thanks,
    Jon

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    No, the instrument in which I have my JMVCs doesn't have string spacing that narrow. Personally, if I was set on a set of these for an instrument with those particular dimensions, I would just pay up the extra 20% - and consider myself fortunate that Delano was even willing to accommodate me. It'll be worth it - believe me. :meh:

Question: How exactly would you characterize the tone of the SBCs you have? Please get descriptive. Use a few relevant adjectives.

As for the JMVCs + Aguilar OBP-3, that's going to be one powerful combination. I have no doubt that it will serve you extremely well for playing any kind of hard rock or metal. :bassist:

MM

3. Envincibal

Envincibal Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Philly, PA
    You're right about just paying the extra 20%... it was just a little disappointing, along with a 8 week wait for custom pickups (but, its only 8 weeks - I've waited MUCH longer for other pickups).

About those SBCs.... very mid aggressive :bassist: and it seriously cuts through the mix (my guitarist uses Mesa gear, including a 4x12 and a 2x12!). There is some meat to the bottom end, but nothing booming, and the highs are present and never harsh. There is a nice edge to upper mids that lends to that cutting crispness (maybe a better way to describe those mids is very articulate). Some of the mid aggression also belongs to the way I play and my signal chain (Carvin BX1500 --> Ampeg SVP-Pro --> ISP Beta Bass [amazing unit!] --> GK 2001RBP--> -->BBE BMAX-T --> Berg NV610). I know, its a lot of preamps going on in the signal chain, but I love each piece and the magic it adds :bassist:

oh yea, almost forgot, I'm using Ernie Ball Cobalts with that bass and love what those strings do.

4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Thanks for the feedback on the SBCs. Good to know... :meh:

As for your signal chain, that's incredible. I've never heard of anyone using that many preamps - back to back to back. You must be some kind of major-league gain junkie. :eek:

Rock on, Wayne! :bassist: :smug:

MM