1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Delano JMVC FE Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Frenchy-Lefty, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Hi gang!

For those interested I recorded my Warmoth Jazz Bass 5 string with Delano JMVC FE pickups. It is passive with a swamp ash body a maple neck.

Those tracks were recorded straight into Cubase, via a Summit Audio tube preamp, using almost no eq (only 2.5 db at 100 Hz with a wide Q) besides the Sansamp and the last track.

I know It is a cliché to say that such Jazz Bass neck pickup sound like a P Bass but in the case of those Delano pickups I do feel the neck pickup sounds incredibly close to my 1996 P Bass. The most PBass-ish jazz bass pickup on the market IMO.

6 tracks: Both pickups, Neck pickup favored fingerstyle, Bridge pickup favored fingerstyle, Neck pickup favored with a pick and Neck pickup with a pick and a Sansamp BDDI and last both pickups with Eq. I strived to play up and down the neck to give you a good idea.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    superheavyfunk, jallenbass and andrew like this.
  2. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Love these pickups!

3. I'd say the only negative thing about those pickups would be that it is a little too full sounding and not scooped enough for slapping. I rarely slap myself so it does not matter but if slapping is your thing, look somewhere else. I use them for anything from reggae to metal and they always cut through. The definition on the B is amazing as you can hear it when I play on the low C.

They are very sensitive to dynamic playing. If a jazz bass had a baby with a stingray, that's how it would sound. Pick playing on the neck pickup is fantastic (at least I think so LOL).

No need of a preamp. They might be expensive but instead of getting pickups + preamp, you can only get the pickups and wire them passive.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  4. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Agreed on your assessment! The huge poles definitely translate to note definition and punch. Not zingy like a newer Stingray, more of an old Stingray meets Fender vibe.

Frenchy-Lefty likes this.
  5. Until trying those pickups, I never realized how much the big poles were such an important part of the Musicman signature sound.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  6. I feel there can't be any good pickup review without a slap sound clip. So here we go: Delano pickups with Eq and slappidy slappida whack whack... (a bit rusty as I don't slap much anymore but it'll give an idea)
    As I said if slapping is your thing look somewhere else but with a good eq, you can always make it work. In fact, I feel that Split-coil or Noiseless pickups never really sound as good as real single coils for slapping.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
    superheavyfunk likes this.
  7. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Sounds pretty damn good to me. I have the musicman version coming tomorrow for the bridge position with a untrajazz for the neck. Hope the Audere can make them place nice together. I really wanted a warmoth but a nice Squier VM5 fell into my lap.

Nice clips. Thanks for posting.

8. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    ^^ PM'ed about this...

9. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    IME, combining them with the Sadowsky preamp provides plenty of the scoop you were describing. EXTREMELY versatile combination.