delano MM

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by emielow, Dec 22, 2004.

1. emielow

Jan 18, 2004

anyone has experience with this pickup? it's available with alcino 5 magnets, and with ceramic magnets.. : "The DELANO MC4 FE fourstring humbucker uses strong ceramic magnets and eight 9,5 mm diameter plated ferruos polepieces. Compared directly to our alnico version, you will find punchier bass, more linear dynamic response throughout the entire frequency range characterized by in-your-face ultra fast transients that make ghost notes really jump out and a brightly sparkling top end that never sounds artificial."

i really want that agressive stingray tone, i do not want that bartolni mm -tone, not agressive enough. is this delano pickup a good one?? wich one should i get, the alcino 5 or the ceramic one??

or should i install a nordstrand (alcino or ceramic?)

i like flea's stingray sound,if you can't find the live performance of dr. funkenstein (funkadelic cover)
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

Most Alnico 5 MM's are designed to sound like the originals and in my experience they do. The ceramics are brighter, clearer, not as warm. There's more of a variation between ceramic and Alnico's from the same manufacturer than Alnico 5's from different manufacturers. Don't know for a fact but I doubt these are any different. Apparently these are relatively new cause I don't recall hearing of them and you don't see reviews on them.

The acoustic properties of the individual bass have had a lot more effect on tonal outcome than using Alnico pups from different manufacturers.

At least that's my experience so far.
  3. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City

I have the Nordstrand MM in my bass. It is a lot closer to the sound you describe than the Bart MM was.
  4. emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    nordstrand alcino or ceramic?

do they really sound like the stingray?