1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Delano Pickup Comparison

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lowfreqfreak, Jul 27, 2012.

1. lowfreqfreak

lowfreqfreak

Jul 1, 2001
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses, GHS Strings
    MC 5HE
    DJC 5HE

Does anyone have any experience with these two models? I heard a Warwick LTD Dirty Blonde with the DJC 5HE closer to the bridge than normal MM spacing and it sounded great. How do you think the MC 5HE would perform in that position?

Also, I'm looking at using a 5 String P-Bass pickup in the neck position.

2. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I really don't know, but I would guess the MC would maybe have a little stronger growl to it than the DJC. It would be cool to find out how it sounds, but it wouldn't be cheap to find out!!

3. GMSweet

GMSweet

Oct 12, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I asked the the folks at Best Bass Gear about those pickups last year and got the following response from Max...

"Yes, the coil structure and magnets are the same for both the JC5-HE and JSBC5-HE as well as the MC5-HE and DJC5-HE. In other words, Even though they are described differently on his website, the MC5-HE could also be described as "Basically, it is two JC5 HE pickups side by side". Or, In this case "two JSBC5 HE pickups side by side"

So, I would expect the resultant sound to be the same. The only difference I can even think of is that the DJC5 comes stock with 8 conductor wiring for coil switching, and i think we would have to special request such a thing on the MC5-HE. "

I hope this helps.

Matt

4. lowfreqfreak

lowfreqfreak

Jul 1, 2001
    Thank you very much, Matt.

5. GMSweet

GMSweet

Oct 12, 2007
    New Hampshire
    No problem. I wish the folks at Delano would just state that on their site. I didn't end up going that way but had I not already spent the money on the Bart CB setup I would have. My bass has the MM pushed back towards the bridge and I switch back and forth between the north and south coils to provide a larger difference in tone than I expected.

6. lowfreqfreak

lowfreqfreak

Jul 1, 2001
    How close to the bridge? Do you use any other pickups on the bass?

7. GMSweet

GMSweet

Oct 12, 2007
    New Hampshire
  8. lowfreqfreak

lowfreqfreak

Jul 1, 2001
    Very cool. Thank you for the helpful information.