1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Delano Sonar 3 preamp, anybody?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Thundar, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

Im thinkin about buying a new preamp for one (or all) of my TBC basses to replace stock 3 band pre, and am wondering if any of you guys have tried the Delano Sonar preamps or are currently using them?
    They seem to have everything I need, especially the active/passive push-pull. I'm intrigued.
    Thanks!

2. warnan

warnan

Mar 1, 2004
    Shanghai,China
    i had one on my tune bass before and sold....
    i've tried kent armstrong MM3 & ksbt, delano sonar 3ms, glockenklang 3band eq, audere classic 4b. delano is the best.....you won't go wrong.

I also had a TBC AP400-M before and upgraded with Kent armstrong handwound MM pickup and kent armstrong 2band eq. i add a master tone and a 3way toggle also. It sounds great....but i sold it to buy a blade jazz bass...regret
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. I'm running a Delano Sonar 3 in my Spector Legend 4 w/ passive EMGs. That bass is setup Drop C and when passive it sounded great, but got lost in the mix easily. The Sonar 3 added tons more definition and clarity, loads of low end goodness and made it really stand out. Made the Spector just flat fun to play now. I also have a Nordstrand 3 band paired with a set of Delano JMVC4 FE/M2 in my Warmoth jazz and it sounds AMAZING. I highly recommend both pres, unfortunately there aren't many reviews for either. If only I were better at describing sounds....

4. SaintMez

SaintMez Commercial User

Jan 3, 2010
    Meridian, idaho
    Blood Brothers Guitars - Luthier, Porter Guitars - Contractor
    If their pre is anywhere near as good as their pickups you probably wont be disappointed. Im using a set of their narrow soapbars with a Bartolini NTMB 3 band in a '92 Ibanez SR1306 and it sounds killer. Delano products are extremely well made. Can't go wrong.

5. Definite +1

6. Nicolay3535

Nicolay3535

Sep 16, 2010
    South Florida
    I have a 2 band sonar on my Warwick FNA jazzman and it's the best pre I've ever used. Super transparent very much like the preamp in my old pre earnieball mm pre was(wish I still had that bass)! That and a nordy mm4.2 make my wick sound amazing!