Delano Sonar or Audere?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Wfrance3, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I searched and didn't find any direct compare between these.
    Is there anything I should know that would help me choose between

Delano Sonar 2, which is a 2 band (bass,treble) 4 knob, 2 pickup preamp
    and
    Audere 2 band, 4 knob 2 pickup preamp.

I suspect it's close enough that the difference is negligible. I don't have strong feelings about the vol-vol vs. the vol-blend config, so for this specific purpose, let's call that aspect the same thing either way...

This would be going in a 5 string, primarily for praise and worship. It has Delano HE/S 5's in it currently.

if anyone has strong feelings or observations about one vs. the other would be awesome to hear about. Will let you know what I decided...

2. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I did some listening before posting this, and can't really hear a big difference. For the Delano I referenced video from Public Peace. - In as much as you can tell from a youtube video, it sounded very nice, and was pretty close to my result, as it featured the 4 string version of my 5 string delano soap bar pickups. I like that there is an in-built active passive with the volume switch, so there is that as well. the Tech specs I have been able to find online are:

Delano Sonar 2 2-Pickup 4-Knob 2-Band Vol P/P A/P - Bl - Treb - Bass
    • Input Impedance: >1 MOhm
    • Output Impedance: 100 Ohm
    • Signal-To-Noise Ratio: -98dB
    • Operating Voltage: +9v
    • Power Consumption: 0.6 mA
    • Bass: 40 Hz
    • Treble: 6.5 KHz
    As for the Audere, I find that they get a lot of love around here. Add that to the video demos that I have been able to find and review, I feel like that would be a solid choice as well. Tech specs I found in the Audere onlie FAQ:

What is the Frequency Response of the 2 Band Tone Control Option?
    We use shelving controls for all Treble and Bass tone controls so the specs look different than other manufacturers.
    Our specified frequency point is at the 1/2 boost or cut frequency.
    The 2 band tone control specs are Bass 200 Hz +/- 18 dB and Treble 2.0 KHz +/- 17.5 dB.

I am not a sound engineer, so the specification numbers in this post don't tell me much. I can tell that they seem to be different between the two companies, but what that means in the world I don't have a clue...

Anyone see anything that would make one better/different than the other? They are both essentially the same $$ so, could probably be talked into either one...

3. Alessandro Cruz

Alessandro Cruz

Jul 23, 2018
    There's a lot of options of great preamps today, i can name Audere, Delano, Noll, John East, Darkglass and others.

I recently put a 4-band Audere on my bass, and all i can say is i'm completely satisfied with the quality and HUGE difference to the old 2-band preamp i was using before. And the good thing, i was able to keep the same pot configuration, without having to open more holes on the body.

Audere Classic 4.jpg

Wfrance3 and Sav'nBass like this.
  4. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Audere gives you the most for the money IMO. You can roll them pretty much with any combination of features and control arrangements you’d like. And the build and sound quality are definitely there. I’ve installed several for friends. About their only drawback is they don’t offer a passive operation option. Install an Audere and it’s purely active from there on in for your bass. If that’s a dealbreaker for you, look elsewhere.

Over the years I’ve gradually gotten away from using your typical onboard preamp for anything other than a piezo loaded bass. I personally think that these days you get a much better deal going with an outboard preamp pedal like a Tech 21 Q-strip, Mesa Subway, or similar. But that’s me.

5. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    I have a Kingston Heir with Delano pups and a Sonar 3 ... and a 55-01 with a Audere PA 4 band... The 55-01 is my go to bass ... Both preamps are nice and they both have their own flavor... The Audere is more flexible... The Delano is a V,B,B,M,T with a 3 position mid switch and Active Passive.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021