1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Delano Xtender; who's got 1/what are they like?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by reverendrally, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Having worked my way through 2 practice builds with cheap hardware, I'm ready to build the real thing. A 6 string fretless (headless) with Aussie hardwoods. I've had Bartolinis recommended to me, but the Delano Xtenders look really good to me... really good. With the Aust dollar, Euro stuff is cheaper than US at the mo too, so I'm thinking about that.

Interested to hear of people who've used them.
    What do they sound like?
    Should I use one or two?
    Are they good for a passive setup?

Any feedback/soundclips/ideas would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. Big B.

Big B.

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Hey Rev., I've used them for my last two builds and I think they sound great. I used the quad coil version in a one pickup bass and I'm very happy with it. So far I've only run them passive and I'm really surprised with the quality of sound. (I'm very much an active preamp fan) Its got great output and has a nice modern tone but with that slight edge of hollowness in the low register that to me is the hallmark of a good passive tone. The Xtender is certainly one of the most active sounding passive pickups I've heard. I look forward to hearing one with a quality active preamp. The pickup route is particularly awesome. With no tight corners and a continuous curve its a dream to route. I've used these, a soapbar set, and the sonar preamp and all around the quality and sound is top notch. Certainly on the modern side of things but personally I prefer that sound.

My only complaint is that the thumb indention is a little small but that is hardly a dealbreaker. I dont have any soundclips right now but feel free to pm me if you have any questions I could possibly help with. If its going in your fretless you are working on I think the shape would look awesome with that bass.

Edit: just reread and saw they are for a new bass, should be awesome. As far as 1 or 2 goes I would suggest the quad coil if going for the single pickup. I wired mine series/single coil/parallel and all 3 are usable tones. Plenty of tone with one pickup but since I also prefer 2 pickup basses I'd like to see how a dual pickup setup would work out.

3. Thanx, that's the sort of thing I'm looking for.

P.s. I can't express how awesome your builds are!

4. Big B.

Big B.

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Thanks man! It's great to hear that. :) Looking forward to the 6 string when you start it.

5. Anyone else?

6. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I like packaging and the samples seem cool, there is nothing like actually trying a pickup (effect/bass/girlfriend) though is there?

7. hence my questions... ;)