1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Delanos for Drop Tuning?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by OneMoreRobot, Mar 16, 2009.

1. OneMoreRobot

OneMoreRobot

Jan 23, 2009
    Hi,

Due to not really liking my Warmoth Jazz at ALLLL...

I'm ditching it and starting all over with a single humbucker design. Getting a pre-routed body blank from Warmoth and doing the shaping myself cuz I'm so picky... :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, listening to stuff like 311 and Dream Theater I'm really digging the low B string... but I don't want a 5 string. I'm thinking about building my bass for BEAD tuning with a 5er string set. I don't really like the barkiness of the G string anyway. I'm not quite set on doing this yet, since I love to play dub/reggae/funk/jazzy stuff best and sometimes that G string works nice in that mix.

But the real question is... Will a Delano MC 4 AL pickup be able to handle the low B string? How about and EMG MMTW? Since that's what I have now, but I'll be upgrading to a Delano most likely.

Thanks.

2. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    why woundnt they?

3. OneMoreRobot

OneMoreRobot

Jan 23, 2009
    Because it's a 4-string pickup, and I'm not sure if the tone sucks when you go that low?

4. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    hmmm, no 5 string version of the delano. dunno, sounds way to subjective to make a call
    I like my delanos, I detune. but I have a set of JMVC's.

5. OneMoreRobot

OneMoreRobot

Jan 23, 2009
    Thanks for the input.