1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Delay advice...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dannybuoy, Mar 29, 2009.

1. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I have a EHX Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai at the moment, but I'm thinking of replacing it with something else... Basically my only issues with it are the volume drop due to the blend control (which isn't an issue when just setting it up for short low volume background repeats) and the fact it takes up so much room. I can live with these issues but was wondering what else I could go for! Is there anyhing out there that can tick all these boxes?

1. If I set the blend level so that the repeats have the same volume as the original signal I get a volume drop because it results in 50% dry and 50% wet. Is there a delay out there that can keep my dry signal at 100% whilst adding repeats on top?
    2. I really like the decay knob on standard echo mode, it adds a bit of reverb to the repeats. I need a delay that can do this as it sounds lush for post-rock.
    3. I want some self ocillation where I can tweak the time knob to affect the pitch of the repeats. On the SMMH, adjusting the time knob kills the repeats (damn you EHX! :D).
    4. Tap tempo please.
    5. Looping nice to have but not essential.
    6. True bypass preferable (I have plenty of buffers in my chain already).
    7. As small as possible! Certainly no bigger than the SMMH, preferably Boss sized or smaller.

I've been looking at the Digitech Hardwire DL-8, but I don't know if it meets requirements 1 & 2. Anybody able to tell me?

Any of the Boss DD series up to the job?

Also, I've never used a real analog delay, does the lo-fi smearing of the repeats you get sound anything like the reverb effect I'm getting from the decay knob on the SMMH?