1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

delay and tremolo - together??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Flymo Wang, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Flymo Wang

Flymo Wang

Jan 5, 2011
    Bristol, UK
    i picked up a BOSS PN-2 recently... having a lot of fun with it, especially with my grey stache in front of it!

do any of you use tremolo and delay together? if so do you run delay into trem, or vice-versa? apart from sending screaming oscillating madness into a choppy trem setting, i'm not really finding many options!

cheers

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Well I mean traditionally the delay goes last, as an enhancement of whatever else is going on in your signal path. But the whole point is to play around and make sounds, so go nuts.

3. Flymo Wang

Flymo Wang

Jan 5, 2011
    Bristol, UK
    yeah, been mucking around with them. just i'm sure i've read comments here and there in the past about hooking up a nice delay/trem combo, and was wondering how folks were using the two together..

4. amfmsb

amfmsb

Dec 16, 2007
    Yes. I do both. I find it cool to run an off-rhythm time based effect (like your Boss, being that you can only approximate the speed) into one that is on tempo with the song you are playing ( one with tap tempo, like a delay or even another trem ). This combo will give your not-quite in-time trem, an in-time washed-out delay pulse.

Even if you don't have a tap delay, you can still kick in any delay at the end of your chop-fest to transition back to normal playing.

I just realized that I'm really only talking about square wave choppy trem effects. If you are talking about using subtle wobbliness with delay, then I would say, yes- duh.

Choppy trem after delay, radically changes the washy delay effect into chopped up pieces of washiness, also...duh.

5. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    That would be like steak and ham; can be tasty, but also too much and a culinary disaster...

Nah, I'm just kidding. Knock yourself out.

6. Flymo Wang

Flymo Wang

Jan 5, 2011
    Bristol, UK
    cool - good idea, i will have a muck about with that later!
    i'm mostly using it for choppy tremming anyway.

7. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I have the same dilemma. Of course, the best solution is to get two delays.

8. Flymo Wang

Flymo Wang

Jan 5, 2011
    Bristol, UK
    i have two delays and a trem :)

9. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Although I own both, never tried it (I think), definitely going to have to try it now, I'm boring and mix effects that are usually mixed, my flanger with distortion, chorus with octave, delay with chorus, delay with distortion, octave with distortion, and I came across this by accident, but chorus with my BassBalls also sounds kinda cool.

10. im using my stereo pulsar (ehx) before my delay and its doing great. too bad it doesnt have tap tempo

11. Mr.Hat

Mr.Hat

Sep 18, 2010
  12. Flymo Wang

Flymo Wang

Jan 5, 2011
    Bristol, UK
    just sounds like trem on its own to me at 2.32 - but either way, not heard that before, very cool song!