Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by davefrommound, Jan 27, 2006.

1. davefrommound

Jul 21, 2005
    I play in a 3 piece rock band and as the bass player AND singer I typically end up playing a rhythm bass line (follow the guitar line to fill space so the guitar player can wank on a solo).

anyway, when we practice it's through a mixer and headphone amp, so the mix is always good and my bass notes sustain nicely. but on stage, it sounds like there's no sustain to any of the notes the second my pick or finger leaves the string.

so i recognize that i need some effect to make it sound beefier and ring out... my question is, should i go with a delay or chorus pedal? or is there another option that will beef it up?

thanks. and btw, i find this forum to be a wealth of knowledge. i'm not a bass player by trade, so i really appreciate the courtesy among fellow bassists, even for dumb questions (like this one!).
  2. What is your setup exactly?

Because you could spend a lot of money on effects but it won't make a bad bass sound good.
  3. davefrommound

Jul 21, 2005
    samick royale bass --> tech 21 sansamp pedal --> hartke ha4000 head --> fender bassman 1970s cab w/ 2 Eminence Delta 15A speakers.
  4. How old are your strings? Have you tried different settings on your sansamp and on your hartke?
  5. Sometimes, your sound depends on the room your are into. You should try to change your EQ settings first. Some rooms respond better to different frequencies
  6. davefrommound

Jul 21, 2005
    i've played mostly blue steels but recently switched to the heavier DRs. i've been changing the strings as-neede, depending on whether or not we're gigging, recording, etc., and always the week before a show.

tried different settings on the sansamp and head, can't find anything that really provides a sustained, consistent hit. it's like the initial pluck is loud, then it severely tapers off. when we're playing quiet it's not as big of a deal but when we get loud i feel like i have to hit twice (or more) as many notes to be heard.
  7. doesnt the boss compressor act as a sustainer
  8. i dont mind that boss thing myself
  9. IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    any compressor with a post-gain controll can. The compressor "lowers" the max volume and the post-gain returns that signal to what ever level you want. If I had more time, I'd explain with a picture.....
  10. nah thats cool i think i get it but i do have one question can anyone actually tell when someone has a compressor going
  11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I use my Whammy plus a drive pedal to fill in with an octave up blend that sustains.
  12. IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    Usually the bass will sound smoother and more filled out. But that usually means they're using a low threshold.
  13. davefrommound

Jul 21, 2005
    thanks, guys. i picked up a compressor today on ebay, when i get it i'll let you know if that does the trick!
  14. davefrommound

Jul 21, 2005
    ended up getting a behringer mdx 1200 for pretty cheap. this is my 3rd behringer piece of gear, my headphone amp & mixer have been great so for $40 it was hard to pass up the 1200. plus, since it has 2 channels i plan on using it live for bass and singing.

anyway, i just plugged it in and it did the trick - the notes sustain exactly the way i want them to, and my aggressive playing sounds smoothed out (no clipping or string noise from the pick)... once my 4 space rack case shows up monday i'll be good to go for gigging too!