Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Delay effect

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by emulgator, Jul 31, 2005.

1. emulgator

emulgator

Feb 13, 2005
    Can anyone recommend a good delay pedal for a bass? I play a Thunderbird and a Fender Jazz. I use an ampeq rig.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Believe it or not, I always liked the Ibanez DE-7, aside from the fact that it doesn't have a tap tempo function.

3. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    the digitech delay is amazing and quite cheap

4. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    The Line6 Echo Park, with its Tap Tempo included, is awesome. I don't really like delays, but well. It's better than my former DD-6.

5. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    Boss. The one the only.

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So far everybody has given a different answer.

I'm looking into the Echo Park or maybe the DL4. The only reason why i'd get the DL4 is that you can loop.

7. emulgator

emulgator

Feb 13, 2005
    Thanks for the comments, but it seems like everyone has their own favourite and no pedal is outstanding to others, so I guess I just have to start from one end and hope I find a pedal that I can recommend to others one day.
    :bassist:

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I have four delay pedals including a very boutique hand built one.

Maneco Nanolooper
    Danelectro Dan-echo
    Boss DD-20
    Line 6 Echo Park

My fav for just everything and if I could only keep on it would be the Boss DD-20 it just doesn everything. If I could only have a single stomper though due to pedalboard size I'd get the Line6 Echo park.

Hope this helps

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    It will all depend on how much delay you need as well. If you just need ambience or echoes then you won't need anything more than the good ol' DD3 or maybe the lesser priced units from Rocktron or Dano.

Anything more than that then you need to look at the other mentioned units.

I use a Digi Delay. It does perhaps 98% of what the upscale units do at only 75% (and less) of the price.

10. PureRockRoll

PureRockRoll

Apr 24, 2005
    either the digitech or the dl4. dl4 has so many possibilties that you will pretty much find something you like on it, but i think the digitech is great too.

11. I went with the Echo Park instead of the DL-4 for space reasons but I am extremely happy with it and can get some cool sounds with the modulation effect that I use all of the time for solo applications. The only thing I don't like about the pedal is that you can't program an presets... but I wouldn't use that much anyway.

12. skrowl

skrowl

Aug 2, 2005
    i'm looking for a delay pedal at the mo too, i played the dl4 a little... so many sounds to get your head around, but a damn fine pedal. i didn't like the ibanez one much, i dont know why, just didn;t click i spose (its all in the the way you hold your face) :)
    the one i've always liked but could never find was one my brother had, it was a boss one "RV-3" not the "RV-5" that some how replaced it :(
    simple, easy and there was still so many sounds!

13. I briefly tried a Line 6 Echo Park and quite liked it I definately prefered it to the Boss DD3.

14. Smoe

Smoe

Jul 20, 2005
    Digitech Digidelay for sure - unless you want to start spending lots of money on features that you probably won't use.
    I've found the the digitech delay to be pretty noiseless in my setup, and have pretty damn good ease of use. It has looping, tap tempo, and a pretty sweet broad range of delay time. Plus it has reverse delay if you want to play some experimental stuff.
    Bottom line - it sounds good, it's easy to use, and does what it says it does.

15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I'm bumping this thread to ask a question. Is your danecho noisy? Mine creates noise in my signal whether or not is turned on.

Is there a mod/quick fix that could alleviate this noise?

16. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    While it isn't true bypass I don't seem to notice any tone loss while it is off.

While on you have to remember it is an analog simulator so its gonna kinda be noisy, as the repeats degrade they will sound more like noise. I did find that it could be quite easy to overdrive the unit, but that could be mainly due to my board boosting my signal alot. As always delays are noisy normally due to them delaying ur hum so you'll get parts where u have 2-3 layers of hum.

So yeah I don't really find it noisy no more so than other delay I use, I've always liked the bypass on the dano pedals never had any problems with tone suckage.

Hope this helps

17. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Actually, thinking back to some advice Tecx gave me, I am going to try powering it with a battery instead of my 1spot. That thing made my Holy Grail hum like crazy.

I don't remember the Dano humming as badly when I first got it (and used battery power).

Thanks for your insight,
    Adam

18. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
  19. emulgator

emulgator

Feb 13, 2005
    First of all I would like to thank You for the many suggestions for delay pedals.
    I've decided to go with Boss to start with, and the only question remaining is whether to go with DD3 or OV5? :ninja:

20. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    ov5? :confused: