Delay for bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Pöl, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Pöl

May 31, 2003
    Played and Ibanez Tonelock Delay yesterdag (forgot its name), and it sounded utterly sweet ! ! ! :hyper:

But since I'm not that much of an effects guy. I was wondering what you guys thought about delay for bass...

Are there bass-oriënted delaypedals or doesn't that matter (guitar or bass)?
    Which delaypedals are the best?

I might be looking to buy one, but I need some assistance...

2. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Good look finding a specific bass delay pedal. I resorted to using a multi-effects pedal (Zoom 506II) to get delay. If you tried the Ibanez on bass, and it sounded good, go for it.

3. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    You don't need a bass specific model. A delay should just give you one or more copies of the source sound, played back after, erm, a delay :D ... they should be relatively pitch neutral.

If you've got a reasonable amount of money to spend, it's definitely worth looking at the Line6 DL-4 delay modeller, which has a wide range of delay effects and up to 28 seconds of loop time as well and has been discussed in a number of threads on this board. I'm a happy user of this and it's delays give much more scope for playing around than my multiFX pedal (Zoom 505II - great little box but not nearly so flexible).

4. I dont really have a use for it really since i dont play guitar anymore. But i have a Boss DD-5 that seems to work fine for those days i wish to experiment. And the sound turns out fine.
  5. Creep

Mar 12, 2004
    I second wulf.....I have the DL4 and I love it....check it out it's worth taking the time to save the cash if you need too.
  6. I think delay is stupid for bass, but if anyone worked out a routine for delay in a slap bass solo, I'd love to hear it.
  7. I have a Boss DD6 for my bass and works a treat. You need to use quite a bright sound with delay on bass though (or a staccato sort of style) or you just get a load of mud.
  8. Pöl

May 31, 2003
    Well, i've found it quite tasty when combined with a few slap-notes...
  9. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Anyone try out the DD-20 Gigadelay?
  10. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    I own a BOSS dd-6

and a tc electronics g magor

i really like both for different reasons...

in addition i would love to get the line 6 dl4 or a line 6 echo pro...
  11. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    The line6 DL4 is great. Many cool sounding delays and very tweakable.

I found mine online used for $140 USD.
  12. Falk

Jan 18, 2004
    I used an old Alesis QuadraVerb in my rig for recent mini-tour.
    I only used it for a relativly (how does it spell?) short bass,
    But anyway, I loved the fact that i could give my sound ambience and delays. It worked out really nice.
    Combined with some chorus and distortion it sounded really awsome!!! :D
  13. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    theres some delay on the bass track on "the wall" isnt there?
  14. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    Yep. It's 'The Happiest Days of Our Lives'. I love that bass part! :cool:
  15. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Me and my DL4 are inseperatable, I am one with the delay.. For my bands stuff there is almost delay on 90% of my work...