Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Delay + Looping choices? (DL4, gigadelay, RC20XL loopstation)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by schmittuml, Jun 19, 2005.

1. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    I want to get a good delay pedal and a looper pedal. I know the DL4 has both, but many seem to switch to an RC20XL after in a short period of time to use the DL4 for ust delay. My question is, which is probably the best setup for me?

A. Just the DL4
    B. Giga-Delay and RC20XL
    C. DL4 (for delay only) and RC20XL
    D. Alternative??????????????????

I know street the gigadelay sells for about 180 comapred to the DL4's 250 but which is a better delay to add with the RC20XL?
    Thanks for any help.....

-Brian Schmitt

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

D - Line6 Echo Park (basically a DL-4 without a sampler) with a Boss RC-20XL.

3. dhodgeh

dhodgeh

Jul 15, 2004
    FLA-USA
    B - DD-20 with the RC20-XL.

Just went through the same decision process and bought the DD-20 because:

- Supposedly better sounding delays than the Line6
    - No presets on the Echo Park
    - Cheaper than the DL-4
    - It can loop (but that's not it's main thing)
    - I like Boss stuff

All in all, a killer combo.

hth

D

4. Jazz Ad

Takes half of the pedalboard, too. :)

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Well, it depends what are your looping requirements are.
    How many loops do you need? Do you need storage? How long do you need to be able to store? How do you intend to use it?

6. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I just got a DD-20 and I really like the versatility. It can do minor looping, but it cannot save loops and you can start/stop them (I get around that be having the delay in a loop of a bypass pedal and I just toggle the bypass pedal on and off to start/sto the loop). The delays sound decent and you can save presets. It all depends on your looping needs vs. delay needs.

7. dhodgeh

dhodgeh

Jul 15, 2004
    FLA-USA
    How true..... ;)

8. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    ive had the digitech digidelay for about a year now, it loops and has tape delay, several digital delay options, delay with added chorus, reverse, tap tempo...i reccomend it.

9. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    which is the better delay? the DD-20 gigadelay or the DL4........

10. Jazz Ad

A delay is a delay is a delay...
    As long as we're talking digital, there isn't much difference.

11. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I'd say the DD-20. I have played through both and I like the tones from teh DD-20 better. It also has a better user interface (with the display and such) and 4 memory locations. The DL4 has better looping ability, but I think the DD-20 is a better delay in general.

The DD-20 is also slightly smaller and cheaper.

12. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    EVERY digital delay is different... I can tell a dd-2, from a DD-3, from a DD-5, to a DD-6... And thats JUST soundwise... Features, Features, Features... Plus most multi-delays these days have analog simulation, tape simulation, etc. - all of which have to have algorhythims programed for them, all of which sound very much different - some better, some not so good... Its like saying that the delay on a Zoom is going to sound as good as an Eventide, NOT going to happen... There are also various other thing to take into acount:

What IC's are used
    Noise issues
    Bypass
    quality of repeats
    general tone of delay, and YES even digital imparts its own tone
    length of delay, and degridation as you get longer delay times...

I could go on but I wont...

I own MANy delays, I have owned dozzens apon dozzens more... And I can say without a doubt - they ALL sounded different...

Cheers

Alex

p.s. Starting next week, I will have a new class starting - Delay for bassists 101. I'll take enrolement starting on monday... :meh:

13. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    another decent one to think about is the Akai Headrush.

14. Jazz Ad

May I express doubts here ?
    Regardless, I will. :)

15. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Thats fine... I was talking out of my ass anyway... ;)

16. Jazz Ad

Don't we all from time to time ?

17. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I run a RC-20 and a DD-20 and find that combination to be a good combination of versatility and sonics. I've been through a bunch of looper and delays including Alesis rack units, Gibson EDP+, DL4, Boomerang, and the old EH 16 sec delay and I am getting the most bang for the buck out of these 2 Boss units in tandem.

The DL4 isn't a bad box and I've heard some awesome work done with it (Steve Lawson did an entire CD with one), but I found the unit that I had to have a weird digital hash sound that I didn't like. Still, it has a killer Maestro emulator. The Line 6 thing where the knobs change mode for every setting is super confusing. I don't want to be digging out a manual if I don't have to.

18. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    can the dd20 loop at all?

19. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    It can do hold delay which is similar, but not the same...

20. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    I've tried:
    DigiTech DigiDelay
    Boss DD-3
    Boss DD-6
    Boss DD-20
    Line 6 DL-4

haven't tried Akai Head Rush coz everybody, including the dealer, told me it sucked in looping mode and delay was nothing special.

Line 6 beats everyone of them... no way...

Pros:
    Possibility to store 3 different channels.
    GREAT tape simulation.
    Warm sound.
    Nice looping quality.

Cons:
    When you have to change a channel setting you can't know wher the knob is pointing at the moment (it would be much better utilizing a method like the Programmable SansAmp with le red LED lighting faster as you reach the knob actual level).
    No Trails Switch wich lets the echoes smoothly trail away when you kick the effect off. (or at least I haven't founded this mode on the DL-4).

I'd like to try the Deluxe Memory Man... but I know it will be much harder to utilize and it has no loop sampler...

Did Line 6 discontinued the rack version of this stomp box?
    What were the differences between these two units making exception of the longer loop a and delay for the rack?
    Was the rack quality higher?

Bye.