delay/rate wah wah pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jamesonellis, Oct 14, 2005.

1. jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    does anyone make a delay pedal whereby the delay rate is controlled in the same way a wah-wah pedal works,i.e. rocking the foot changes the rate?
  2. Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    I'm now sure but TC-Electronic's "G" products should do that trick.
    E.g. G-Major:

You could test a few other Rackmount units with a Delay effect onboard.

Good luck on your search.
  3. jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    thanks,that is getting close but it doesn't seem to have a remote.i want something hooked to a pedal so i can vary the rate at will while playing live;go in and out of sinc w/ the music, shift delay time to match the tempo as i play etc.
  4. Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    I believe that you can use an expression pedal to control these parameters.

Could some of the TC users please correct me if I'm wrong.
  5. +1 on the rackmounts, they all seem to have a foot controller of some sort...otherwise, if you want to go floor pedal, then look for a pedal with tap tempo...that might just be your best bet.
  6. Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    I have seen that feature on Boss Delays...
  7. Look for something with tap tempo.....far more accurate/useful than something with an expression pedal.
  8. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Any Delay pedal that has an "expression pedal" input will do this.

Of course then you also need to buy an expression pedla of the correct value. RTFM for details.
  9. plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    That's right.
    Line 6 DL4 can do that.
    but... do you want to use this feature as a TAP TEMPO or just to have fun and making weird noises?
    Cause I don't think it would be a great idea using it as a Tap Tempo...
  10. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    I think that the TIP 3rd Hand would fit most delay pedals.. basically you take the Rate button off and connect it to the TIP then you can control the pot via the TIPs expression pedal... is that what you had in mind?
  11. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Do a search for pedal mods, as I've seen this discussed here before. There are much better descriptions than the above, sorry Xan ;)
  12. i still think a tap tempo would work better, because it would be more accurate than an expression pedal in this case...
  13. jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    like i said i basically want to be able to control/adjust the rate as i play,i think paul leary of the butthole surfers had a pedal that did this.i want be able to be in phase w/ the song, then speed up/slow down return to phase at will.i also want to be able to spontaneously adjus the rate from song to song,and be able to adjust for a spontaneous tempo change within the seems like it would be a commonlyrequired feature for a delay.i don't want presets which will make me out of phase if the drummer starts slighly off tempo.tapping would not really fit this bill,as i would theoretically have to keep tapping in new tempos as i play,i definitely want the wierd noises as i sweep through the rates.

14. Trust me, after reading the above I can tell you that what you want is tap tempo.

I can tell you from experience that when using an expression pedal to adjust the tempo you can pretty much guaranty that you will never match the rhythm of the song. It's good for wierd noises and such, but not much more.
  15. will have to be exactly on every time. an expression pedal is cool, but i think the tap tempo would still be more usable
  16. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    yeah, the 3rd hand would give you an expression pedal that controls the rate knob on a delay pedal.

but i think tap tempo is way better because its not trial and error while you're playing, you get instant lock-on to the beat by tapping
  17. Free Tibet

Free Tibet Guest

Sep 20, 2005
    Are there any companies that might be able to build a custom "3rd hand"-like device???
  18. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Most multi-effects will do it too. My Korg AX-1B does.

As for the 3rd hand, you don't need a custom one. It fits any pedal.
  19. Free Tibet

Free Tibet Guest

Sep 20, 2005
    Well it fits most rotary knobs, however I am looking for a bit more than what TIP has to offer.

First of all, it's HUGE. Second, it can only control a single knob. Third, the actual mechanism it uses to drive the spindle is a nylon belt, which is cheap and clumsy. A mini rack an pinion would be nicer.

Is what I had in mind was having multiple outputs (Flex Cables), for this example I'll use 4. The board would also have 4 buttons, each attached to their respective cable-to-knob you want to adjust. In this case we'll have one expression pedal, and dependent on which button you hit, that is what the pedal will control. Here's a crude ASCII mock-up:

|||| <-- 4 Lines out
    |__| <-- Expression Pedal
    .... <-- 4 Selectors

You could also have two pedals with two lines per expression pedal. Or anything my imagination can dream up! Muahaha
  20. For that to work you'd probably be best off getting the pedal modded for an expression jack. It's pretty easy (assuming there's room inside the pedal to house the jack) and most modders will do it.

The only problem I can see with the switching idea is that the any pedal controled by it will probably revert to the fully off or fully on position (depending on design) when the pot is taken out of the signal if you tweeked your delay repeats to about half, then switched to a chorus pedal, your delay would either suddenly slow right down, or take off.