1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Delay shopping.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nad, Mar 8, 2008.

1. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Strike 1: Pharaoh Echo Jr. took a dump, was a nice pedal until that happened. Currently in the shop, which does me no good until it comes back home.

Strike 2: HBE Mimic Mock I, does not self-oscillate. Fail.

Strike 3: ???

I want a clean sounding analogue-style delay in a small package, one that can self-oscillate into oblivion if coaxed to do so, without getting too insanely above $300. Right now I'm giving the evil eye to those Malekko Echo boxes (probably the 300ms bright), and the Mad Professor Deep Blue. Any others I should grant attention toward, or any comments on those two beyond what I've already read by keenly utilizing the amazing search function? :)

Cheers and such.

2. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
  3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Probably not what you're looking for ATM, but I have a feeling you in particular would really like the Scholz Rockman Stereo Delay, in a stereo application. Just sayin' try one out sometime, irrespective of whether the form factor meets your present need.

4. Subdecay Echo Box looks great. It's digital but with an analog voicing and has plenty of controls to mess about with. Also has a modulation section.

5. BZadlo

BZadlo Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Pigtronix Echolution is the best!

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Get a Guyatone and be done with it. Self oscillates like crazy and doesn't cost an arm and leg.

7. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    what is self-occilation?

8. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    True, and a great pedal with just a couple flaws (mainly access to the battery) but it is definitely a clear sounding, digital delay. Still, if it was tap tempo I'd probably still have one.

The Echolution is on the high end as far as price, but just based on Ron Now's clips (in the WIKI) it is fantastic, though I'm waiting for Steve from Empress to release his. It's also going to cost a pretty penny. The Empress comes with an expression input for feedback and the Pigtronix can be modded for one - at least Ron got his modded this way.

Do the Malekkos self oscillate? Because they do seem like cool little boxes as well.

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Self oscillation is where it feeds back into itself so much that it starts to generate its own sound. Generally a big screamy noise that obliterates everything else. :)

10. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    The MXR Carbon Copy, when it hits, supposedly has 600 ms in a small form factor. There's a video demo on Harmony Central's winter NAMM stuff.

11. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Yea I just checked out markjazzbassist's self occillation clip of the memory lane, that's pretty crazy.

12. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    You can get them at musictoyz - http://www.musictoyz.com/guitar/pedals/mxr.php

13. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie

Mar 10, 2007
    Queretaro
    I have a Maxon AD-9, which is the previous version of this pedal http://www.maxonfx.com/9/ad9/

About 300 ms, will self ocillate indeed, cool pedal

14. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    IMO, the Boss DM-2 is the standard by which all delay pedals should be judged. It self-oscillates like a mad-man and it has great reverb-ish capabilities as well. The standard delay functions are superior-sounding to just about everything I have owned or tried, too.

The Guyatone MD-3 is also a fantastic sounding pedal with excellent self-oscillation capabilities and it is incredibly clear sounding. Affordable too!

Finally, the H.B.E. Mimic Mock II can self-oscillate very well, (not quite as good as the above two), is incredibly well made and it sounds awesome, IMO. Actually, I think the Mock II strikes a perfect blend between the DM-2's warmth and the MD-3's clarity. Also, H.B.E. is now offering an R.T.C. (Remote Time Control) mod to existing Mock II's or they can be ordered with the mod already done. This allows the use of an expression pedal to change delay times.

Anyway, these are my three all-time favorites for delay pedals and I feel that most people are really selling themselves short if they don't at least check them out for themselves. Good luck with the hunt.

15. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I've had a few delay pedals over the years and I can honestly tell you that I was "done with it" once I bought the Guyatone.

Absolutely love this pedal and I am a delay freak.

16. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    I know the Echo Park gets a lot of bad mouthing because tons of people say they ahve volume drops, boosts,...noise issues with daisy chaining, etc with the pedal, and that scared me for a while, but once i saw a good deal i jumped on it knowing not to expect perfection. however i lucked out and my pedal has absolutely no issues while daisy chaining from a plain-jane godlyke power-all through my pedal board into my Acme Low B2 cab with 4 other pedals being powered by the chain. I havent done anything too extensive with seeing if there is a slight volume change with the pedal is in the chain in bypass, but when turned on i don't notice anything.

i guess i lucked out, but with the pedal being digital but having a fake 'analog mode' that seems to do a great job, and it can self-oscillate with pitch shifting (is that what its called?) smoothly with turning the rate knob, along with tap tempo, it might prove to be worth checking out if you stumble across one.

i love mine! its not in the same league as the pedals you're considering, but it seems to do everything I ask for (except for accepting quarter note taps and spitting out 8ths or 16ths...i want that too....darn it!)

17. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    This thread: great success! Cheers for the recommendations, even the mondo generator sized ones that have no chance of ever being purchased by me. ;)

After talking with the dude himself, I'm leaning even more toward one of the Malekkos, but need to eyeball that Guyatone that I passed over at least once in the past. Pricing is hard to beat for both of those. Using a different delay pedal today made me realize how much I missed my Echo Jr., I hope I get that one back soon. Probably just keep one of the two at the end of the day, but still.
    Those look really neat, thanks. If I ever get heavily into stereo type stuff (which depends on if I ever start recording my noise sessions instead of just blasting the neighbours with them right before bedtime), I'll definitely be looking into those. Either way, I'll keep an eye out for one in my travels.

18. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    What about the TC electronic Nova Delay? It may be a bit larger than you want, but might be worth a look...

19. Strike 4: Success!