1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Delay Techniques

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Toastfuzz, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I've had this Boss DD-7 Digital Delay pedal for a few months now, and usually when playing with other people I just have it in analog mode with a subtle vintage echo, to get more of a "live" sound (which is funny, since we're playing live). However this pedal has all sorts of other capabilities, including long delays and reverse delays. What are some actual techniques that you guys use to implement delay in with live jamming? Our group is a drummer, myself and a slide blues guitarist, and sometimes we get into jamming trippy stuff, and this thing could step it up to a new level if I knew how to use it correctly.

Mostly I'm asking, how do you get use out of long delay effects?

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Making my tapping sound more complicated than it really is?

3. Rhythmic delays can be useful with bass.

That's when you set the delay time to imitate an 8th note or 8th note triplet, or whatever you want, and then play in time with it... makes it sound like you're doubling parts, or playing twice as fast, or whatever... interesting effect.

4. If you're talking about trippy stuff, I like to tap in a tempo that is in different time signature from the drummer; e.g. if the drummer is playing in 4, tap in a rhythm in 3 or 5. As long as the measures line up, it sounds trippy as hell. Reverse is cool, but more for ripping a solo. All IMHO, of course.

5. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    Hey, just to catch the train while it's moving... I'm interested in the DD-7 for future acquisition, but I've read some complaints about it being noisy (as in, creating, hum, hiss, or something like that). Does that hold true in your case?

6. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    um, can't vouch for the DD-7 but the DD-3 doesn't hiss or anything :|

7. My DD-20 is dead silent.

8. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'd heard that it was noisy before I got it from a number of reviews. My box produces no noise whatsoever at any volume. The only audible drawback it has is when you stupidly mess with the knobs while still outputting high volume, you can create some nasty feedback (the bad kind), but this is human error, not the box. I dont know if it has to do with people's signal chains or power setup, but MINE produces no noise or hiss. I'd highly recommend it.

(BTW for power I use a home-made AC adaptor salvaged from some other piece of electronics. Ive used batteries and had no noise problems with that either.)

9. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    that's good.... it may be bad for my wallet, but it's good for my sound, nonetheless.. This little box sounds like it's quite the prodigy... long delays, reverse delays, looper, and a whole lot more. Hard to resist.

10. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thats why I bought it