Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Delay users: what settings?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DanGouge, Oct 20, 2004.

1. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I know a bunch of you use delay in your rigs. Just wondering what sort of settings you prefer. Also, what genres or situations are most conducive to delay use? I'm just looking for some perspective about getting a delay box. :confused:

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I have a Boss DD-20, which I consider the mother of all digital delays. Really short times (1 ms) provide chorus. 100-300 ms provide analog slapback and reverb; 300-600 ms or thereabouts provide note-doubling trickery a la Edge; longer times start to put you in spacey looping territory. The DD-20 goes up to 23 seconds, which is overkill for delay, but adequate for simple four-bar looping.

As far as real-world apps go, I don't find delay essential. The chorus and reverb-like settings are helpful in terms of thinning out notes, which is helpful if you play chords or just want to get away from the usual headache-inducing bass "thud." It's also useful if you play an extended range instrument and like to solo in a guitar-y way. The looping features are cool, but if you're with a live band, the band has to match their tempos to the loop.

3. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I curently own:

Line 6 DL4, #1. Echoplex EP1 (set for pink floyd type delay), #2. Volume Swell Echo (kinda like fripp in a box), #3. Digital delay (set up as a short sampler)

SIB Mr. Echo, set for long dirty analog dealys

I love delay.... I use it all the time, constantly... Being I play solo - it helps fill a lot of sonic space and helps me fill the room. I like really short delays and really long delays...

I also have a Univox EC-80a Echo Chamber Tape Echo on its way, and I have owned more boss, ibanez and dod delays than I can remember (plus some rackmount units)...

Delay is personal, you need to make it work for you...

Alex

4. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Conversely, I have my ME50B set to give me chorus and delay at once when I hit the Modulation pedal - and I have the delay echoes' level fairly quiet, just 3-4 repeats, and kind of short - enough to texturalize stuff, but not sound like an echo unless I'm playing staccato stuff.

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I have a Lexicon MPX G2, a Lexicon Vortex, and a Line 6 Echo Pro. I love delay. I use all sorts of different settings.

6. E.O.M.

E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I use a Boss DD-6 right now. I love the reverse delay feature, and I also use the hold (loop) feature. Layer after layer after layer...

I've also used one of those Ibanez Tone-Lok things. The Boss was a definite upgrade.

I use delay a lot in my band, which is very Tool-esque. The bass plays more of a lead role, so there is a lot of room for me to fill sonic space.