1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Delay With Expression Control of Delay Time

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sir Edward V, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    I know this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it...

I have an idea of how to do it, I'm not totally sure how the pots that go in expression pedals work, but once I figure that out I think it wont be too hard...

2. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    343_Salty_Beans, you're being paged.

3. I think you could do that w/a Line 6 DL-4 & of course, an expression pedal.

4. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    I take it he has done this then...

good to know

5. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    Diamond Memory Lane (it's a Mod they will do). I've got one coming next week, it's all finished!! So eventually there will be pics and clips and a review.

6. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    In true DIY fashion, I intend on doing this myself. As I said, I should be able to do it once I figure out how pots inside of expression pedals work...

7. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    well, fine then. but the SIB Mr. Echo + does it, too. :D;)
    http://[malware url removed].net/vicious-smiley-1815.gif

8. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    good to know, only $179... plus the cost of a volume pedal

9. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    Thanks, Spanky :)

Here's my thread on my delay:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=333088&highlight=DIY+delay

Wah pots work the same way as regular pots. 3 lugs, they are oriented the same way as regular pot lugs. Finding the correct value pot is the trick.

Fortunately for me, I used the Tonepad Rebote 2.5 as a template for my design. The delay time pot is wired as a variable resistor, which means you can tack another resistor in parallel to the pot to get the appropriate value (Mine was 100K, I needed a 50K pot, so I added 100K of resistance in parallel to make the new value 50K).

For added versatility, I added a delay time switch. for the delay time mod (a switch to select between short/long/medium times), I simply used a 3-position on-off-on switch to add resistance in series to the delay pot.

Good luck finding a cheap Crybaby shell, though. I found a broken wah on eBay for $27 bucks, which is a pretty good deal.

10. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    yeah thats the thread I remember reading about this

My guitarist was messing with his delay today and reminded me about this idea. So I want to mod his Delay for him. My idea was to add another jack (probably would have to be a stereo jack) and jump the old delay control wires to the stereo jack and send that to the expression pedal where I would hook them up to the pot.

I personally don't like the crybaby shells, but its probably the easiest to find. Luckily for me, there is a store in my town that has TONS of crybabies stacked up in the corner, most of them probably dont work... I could probably get one cheap

I wonder what resistance pot the delay control in the delay is... that would be good to know...

I'll have to open it up

but then again, my guitarist doesn't like the idea of me messing with his $170 delay... lol, i might have to try it with a cheap delay yet to be bought before he lets me mess with his

11. Get an Ibanez AD9 off ebay, and send it to Robert Keeley. He'll make it true bypass, retain low end better and give it level/delay time control via exp/ pedal.

Won't cost an arm and a leg either. I'd go with him (and will be once I see a AD( for a good price).

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021