1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Delay with Modulation?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bjazzman, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    what are the options out there?

2. Boss DD20 and the DD6 (i think), line 6 echo park, and the line 6 DL4 to start

3. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Diamond Memory Lane. I love mine.

4. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Ibanez made a couple of them in the 80's 10 series.

5. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    anybody have sound clips with their bass?

6. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
  7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Lots of rack units. The ones I crow about are the Ibanez AD202 (analog) and the DeltaLabs Effectron II (digital), but Korg, Yamaha, Roland, and a few other Japanese manufacturers copied each other's ideas, all during a period of like '75 to '89.

8. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ibanez DML-10 as per the Mars Volta. Still reasonable on eBay, and lots of fun!

9. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    DD6 doesnt, but its still a great pedal.

10. hoerni

hoerni

Jun 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have a Peavey DEP 16. It's alot cheaper than the Ibanez, but several times rarer. It also has less tweakability since the depth and rate are on the same shaft (but reversed - more depth is slower speed, etc)

I'll probably use the DL-4 though when I get around to rebuilding my board.

11. billbern

billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    My favorite is the Yamaha E1005 Analog Delay. Real nice,warm sounding analog sweetness. the E1010 added tone controls. You can't get 'em new anymore, but they show up used quit a bit.
    Biill

12. edfriedland

edfriedland

Sep 14, 2003
    Austin, TX
    I just checked out a new Tech 21 Delay, I think it was called Boost DLA or something like that. They have it at the Bass Emporium. It has a boost knob, so when you kick it in, you can add some gain. Tone control to warm it up, and a "flutter" knob that adds chorusing to the delay only, not the original signal. A nice approach. Great sounding delay.

13. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    +21

That Tech 21 Boost D.L.A. pedal is friggin awesome! I just was noodling around with various delay pedals at the local guitar shop, and as soon as I played through the Tech 21 I was just like "damn, ok I'm sold." I need to record some sound samples with this thing, but it sounds super good. Plus, it's like 4 pedals in one. You get delay, a warbly chorus effect that's very usable, a boost pedal (just turn the mix to dry), AND you get some really wacky sound effects if you let some notes ring and turn the Time knob around.

It was a no brainer, had to buy it.

14. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    The new Eventide Time Factor looks interesting. I'm not sure if they are available yet, but my experience with Eventide has always been very good.

15. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    The Time Factor is out. So is the TC Electronic Nova Delay. I have the Nova Delay on order. Both of these pedals are getting great reviews. Delay with modulation and much more. Much discusion about these pedals amoungst the guitarheads over at http://www.thegearpage.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=4

16. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I just asked about this recently, and someone turned me on to ... Well, dang-it... Was it a "Jaques" brand pedal?

I'll try to find it, here...

Joe

17. Doesn't the EHX Deluxe Memory Man do this too?

18. Zeemno

Zeemno

Feb 15, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Yes : http://www.ts808.com/ :)

John

19. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    +1 EHX Deluxe Memory Man

They sound friggin fantastic, but it's not so much a built-in modulator as one that uses the delay to create its effect. It has chorus/vibrato which both are full of warm, analog circuitry goodness and it can get weird by turning up the modulation and delay at the same time.

Clip-wise, check out my myspace. The song "Flightless Bird and Man Alike"'s underlying loop is Bass >> GR-20 >> Deluxe Memory Man >> Trem >> delay, but the DMM is most prevalent.