Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

delay?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by retitled, Nov 6, 2004.

1. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    what is the purpose of a delay effect? what does it do exactly, does it just delay the notes your playing? if so why not just start playing later than you should?

2. Samurai

Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    California
    Delay acts like a echo, where it will repeat the sound you make as many times as you set it to. For example, if you hit the strings to just make a thud noise, that sound will repeat a few times getting a little quieter each time. The most popular player I can think of is the guitarist from U2, he uses lots of delay in their songs.

3. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    oh that sounds prettty sweet qctually, thanks :)

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's an awesome effect, if you get the timing right it sounds like you're Billy Sheehan :hyper:

5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi.

I recorded a bass version of Edward Van Halen's "Cathedral". If you wanna hear an example of using a delay with the bass, go to my website:

http://www.geocities.com/alvabass67/Alvabass.html

And click on the "Cathedral" link (hopefully you will hear it. The Geocities file transfers suck. If you can't , try with "Save target as..." -right click on the link- and save the mp3 in your hard disk).

Nothing great, but serves as an example. I also use a delay for Pink Floyd's "One Of These Days". Try to get the "Pulse" or "Delicate Sound Of Thunder" videos and watch Guy Pratt playing it. Very cool!.

6. Very very cool! The link worked great and the sound was awesome.

7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Those of us into looping know delay to be the ultimate effect.

8. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    whats looping? is it just playing again or just mislabeled like "delay" is :p

9. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Looping is using long delay devices that offer 100% or near 100% feedback. The recorded phrases then repeat themselves while the musician either records more phrases or simply plays a part over the repeating phrases. There are delay devices built specially for this purpose, but it can also be fun to use generic delay devices to do the same thing.

10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    BTW, delay effects are not at all mislabelled. They are exactly that. They have either an analog or a digital delay line that delays what is played into them by some adjustable amount of time. Usually the delay is mixed with the original signal to produce an echo. In many cases, the output of the delay is also fed back into the delay line for additional echoes.

11. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    thanks for the input :cool:

12. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    If you would like to hear some "accessible" songs with delay on the bass parts try to check out these:

Primus - Animals should not try to act like people (the entire album)

Pink Floyd - One of these days (as far as I know the FIRST recorded song with delay on the bass)

sad, buts thats all i can think of right now, its late and I am tired... If you would like to hear some bass with LOTS of delay check out the link to my music below... There is a ton of delay, I almost always have one of my 3 delays on all the time...

Alex

13. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Wow!.. you have really nice tone man!!! And the chops to back it up... I just noticed I doubled your recomendation for "one of these days" But if you really want to see it in action - you have to se Roger play it on "Live at Pompi". Back when everyone in the floyd had 3 binson echorecs!...

Alex

14. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I've been thinking of getting a delay...and flanger to...seems like those with my Boss chorous I could come with some realllly dreamy stuff. No?

15. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Thanks for your nice comments, guys! :)
    Alex: I've heard some of your tracks. I'm not familiar with the concept, but sounds very interesting to me. I'll give a deeper listening. Great job and clever use of the effects! :cool:

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What delay unit did you use?

17. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Hi, tplyons.

I used a Zoom BFX-708 bass multi-effects processor. I created the "Cathedral" effect with a 400 ms delay plus a bit of chorus. BTW, my intention was to record it in its entirety with my fretted Carvin BB75 (and that's the instrument you hear in the intro), but when I started to play the theme (turning the volume up and down with my right hand while tapping with the left) I noticed that the volume pot of my bass was very, very noisy, so I had to switch to my fretless. That's why you hear two different tones in the recording.

18. boogiedown

boogiedown

Nov 1, 2004
    speaking of looping, one of my friends just got one of those boss loop stations and it is awesome. Its really easy to use and you can layer your loops on top of each other. so you can do something like tap out a rhytm, add chords or a bassline and then solo over it.