Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

delay?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dadodetres, Feb 18, 2005.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    hi all!

im using a Korg AX1B and love the machine,m but seems like it doesnt have much parameters to work with. so i decided to get individual pedals.

as for delay, whats the difference between the BOSS DD3 and the DD5? cause i can get the DD3 here, but if there is a lot difference maybe i could move a little and get one,

its difficult to get gear in uruguay, so when a good pedal as this one appearce, its an opportunity.

i wnat to know if with the feedback you can let the note for ever repeting and you twitch other parameters.

what does the feedback does exaclty?

the delay time is the time between repetitions, right?

and it has differents "modes", what are these?

the DD3 has a direct out, whats this?
    the DD5 has a panning out, i guess that some modes are stereo, and also have a TEMPO jack, what is this?

the DD6 has also 2 inputs, what for???

also some of the MODES are for ex. 600ms, isnt this the delay time??? help me understasnd how a delay works

thancks a lot for the info!

2. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    DD5 has a longer maximum delay time and has more modes than the DD3. however, the usefulness of these extra features is open for debate.

i have a DD3, and i think that its delay time is plenty long, nor am i missing a reverse delay feature (although that might be cool).

feedback controls the number of repeats. with the feedback cranked, you don't necessarily get an infinite number of repeats, but you do get quite a few.

keeping the feedback high gets really noisy really fast. the delays stack on top of each other. it's fun to make trance-style music this way, but it isn't particularly called for in other musical contexts.

i do like to turn the other knobs as a note is repeating. changing the delay time changes the pitch.

yes. there is also an "effect level" parameter. this controls the intensity of the repeated notes; i.e., how loud they are.

for a dd3, these are "short," "medium," "long," and "hold." the first three give you a range of delay times. the maximum of the "short" mode is the minimum of the "medium" mode, and so on.

the "hold" function is, imo, useless. you are supposed to step on the pedal when you want to have a note repeated ad infinitum, but it's not nearly long enough on the dd3 to get anything other than noise. in this mode you lose your standard delay. i think the dd6 has a much longer "hold" recording time.

you can hook up another amp to the pedal to get an un-delayed signal. (i honestly don't know if anyone uses this.)

the "tempo" jack is for "tap tempo." instead of guessing what you think is an approximate delay time that you want, you can hook up some special device through that jack and tap on it at the tempo you want the delays to have.

some chorus pedals have stereo outputs. my ibanez cs-9, for example, does. as do many boss units. typically, people put chorus before delay, so the two inputs are so that you can run both effects in stereo and have chorus before delay.

yes. the modes set the range of the possible delay times that can be tweaked by the delay time knob, as i said above.

hopefully that's the level of detail you were asking for. if you want to know on the electronic scale, then you are s.o.l., buddy! :D

3. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Great reply Brad. Couldn't have done any better. Also, about the delay pedals in question, both are worthy, IMO.

4. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    wow, thancks a lot!
    that helped a lot!

so, the "mode" and the delay time work together for only setting 1 thing, right?

and when using the feedback, you play a note.... its played again, then again and again, does the pedal takes this notes and apply the delay on them creating more and more chaois?

i want for example: i play a note, 2 sec later its lpayed again, 2 sec later again, 2 sec ...... on and on, is this posible with the feedback at max and a delay time set? what if i change the delay time while the note is on ang on?

also, have other units GT6B have this features?

5. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    have you tried the digitech digidelay? i just got one and i really like it a lot!

6. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    the dd3 has a maximum delay time of 800ms, which is 0.8 seconds. which is, as you may know, less than one second. the dd6 has a maximum time of 1.6 seconds. just shy of 2 seconds. (by 0.4 seconds! subtraction is fun! :hyper: )

anyway, yeah, cranking feedback gives you lots of opportunity to make sonic chaos. the delays just pile on top of each other and on top of each other and on top of each other.

if you change the delay time as the note goes on and on, you change a) the interval between repeats and b) the frequency of the repeated note. making the delay time longer makes the pitch lower and the repeats longer. and vice versa.

and, yes, the "mode" works together with the delay time knob for control over the delay time.

units people like include:
    boss dd3
    boss dd5
    boss dd6
    digitech digidelay
    guyatone md3
    ibanez de7

this is not an extensive list, but those are pretty much the ones that are in the same price range and are popular. the boss units have that characteristic tick-y delay to'em. supposedly, the other units sound more "natural," and the ibanez de7 has a good analog sim.

features for each of these units and opinions on them are plentiful on the internet.

7. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    thancks again!

so, with the feedback at maximun, how much time does the delay keep repeating?

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The AX-1B has weaknesses but they're not in the delay section.
    It does just as much or more than most of the pedals listed here with above average quality.
    Maybe start with another section ?

9. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

i like the delay on the AX1B but the only con is that the feedback seems to be VERY little, i need somethng with A LOT more feedback....

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

If you use the Pedal Hold effect you can vary feedback from 0 to infinite.

11. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

i love you :bassist:

12. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    so, if with the AX1B you can have an inffinity feedback, why you cant have it wioth the BOSS digital delay? or i understood wrong,m and you actually CAN?

13. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    with the hold option, the notes (or noises, in the dd3's case--it doesn't record long enough for actual notes most of the time!) repeat for as long as you hold the pedal down. so, i suppose "yes, you can."

14. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

so i can as long as a keep pressing the pedal??? mmn.n..... that sounds very unconfortable...... what about the dd5 or dd6?

15. does anybody use the boss giga delay twin pedal??

is it good?

16. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    so, when using 1 of the BOSS delays, i put HOLD, and itds a infinit feedback delay with the delay time set (or i set it with thwe other knob?) and i have to press all the time the pedal? or just putting it on is enoght?

17. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    you have to continuously hold it down. irritating--this is partly why it's kind of useless.

and i actually don't know what's up with the delay times during the hold mode. i honestly haven't bothered with it much, since hold kind of sucks.