1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Delay?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    This is sort of a generic question: What bands can you think of that make very MUSICAL useage of Delay... here's a couple examples:

EARLY (War era) U2: The Edge's style was phenomenal

Tool: Justin does make good use of delay, his midrangey tone allows it quite well

Claypool: He's kind of overdoing it at this point, but he makes a very rhythmic use of delay in all that he does.

A short list, what are some bands/artists that use delay well (I felt since this was more about RECORDINGS of EFFECTS, it would belong in recordings... I could be wrong though, feel free to move).

2. i think that Tim Commerford used it well in the song "No Shelter" and sparingly in "ashes in the fall"

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    If you like jazz, there is always Eberhard Weber, Mark Egan and of course Jaco. Three early pioneers of delay on bass.

4. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    Since you mentioned The Edge, check out John Martyn. Start with "Live At Leeds" or "One World".

5. I'd have to imagine plenty of Floyd is drenched in delay. I'm trying to play songs in my head to think of some...maybe "One Of These Days".

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I don't know about Weber and Egan, but I'd say Jaco's thing was more looping than delay.

7. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    The bassist from Skunk Anansie used some nice delay effect in combination with an octaver on their last album.

Don't care much for that band at all, but he did record that track nicely, and it's a musical use of the delay effect.