Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Delay

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gnusw, Jun 17, 2002.

1. I'm about to buy delay for bass. Please recommend me good one for bass.

2. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    cant go far wrong with a boss. check reviews at www.harmony-central.com

Im also interested in delays so if you try any, let me know what you think.

3. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    Give a Danelectro Dan-Echo a try, it's one of their standard size pedals not a mini. I love mine, even though my brother's using it right now since his Boss has been giving him problems (I've tried it and it worked fine for me, I think he had an AC adaptor problem.) The Boss pedal he has (RV-3 I think, combo reverb and delay) has work great throughout the years, it's about 3 years old and this is the first problem we've had with it. I prefer my Dano to his Boss, to me the repeats sound less harsh.

4. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    If you go for a Boss digital delay, don't forget to unvest in an AC adaptor too. That thing GUZZLES batteries!

5. i got a dd5 delay mad cool.i have a guiatre mag and they talk aboout the delay pink floyd used.i tried to get one off ebay but they were to much.they said not to spend over $230 on one all the ones i saw were $300.i cant rember the name but they say u can get alot of delay effects out of it that u cant with new effects and some delay effects that you never heard befor. only thing thats bad about the unit is that its the size of a marshall head.

6. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    my lead guitarist just bought a line6 delay modular. they go for around $250 new. its really cool. lots of different delays. worth giving a try.

7. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    The Boss delays and the Line6 models are excellent. The Akai Headrush would be another good choice - kind of a middle ground in cost and features between Boss and Line6.

8. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I'm pretty happy with my Akai Headrush ($150-$200 USD). It has analog echo emulation (w/ optional 4-head output), digital delay, and limited looping capability. Pleanty of sound variety via an array of knobs, acceptable quality for live work -- never tried to record with it. Etc., etc., etc.

In my opinion, delay isn't worth having unless you can set the tempo via tap. The Headrush and DL6 handle this, and I think some of the Boss models can, too...

9. all the boss modles that i have played do

10. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    I've got to plug the Line 6. All the vintage, and tape delays you could ever want, digi delay, a 14 second loop sampler, and tap tempo all packaged in a nifty green box for $250. You can't go wrong IMO.
    If you want to go cheap, try the zoom 508 delay. Versitile little box. I'm not sure if i's still in production though.

11. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

The Line6 is very nice. But you need to add to that about $30 for the adapter which is separate and definitely required. Plus it takes up a lot of room. I would definitely recommend it if you are really into delay sounds. It is the best one out there. If you are going that far, get the expression pedal too, $65. The whole thing will run you about $325.00

I used to use a Maxon analog delay. I found it too muddy and undefined on bass. (Great for guitar.) The Boss delay looses all the bottom end IMO.

For me, I chose the Akai Headrush, ($160). It is an easy-to-use good sounding delay with some nice features. (Sampling, overdubbing, multi-tap, and tap tempo.) Plus the delayed signal sounds like my bass. Down side is that even with the level at max, the delay signal is always lower than the original, but that's ok with me.

12. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i plan on getting a guyatone md-3.

300 ms-2.6 seconds delay time (well, it may be shorter than 300ms...but it definitely has a 2.6 seconds maximum).

the reproduced notes supposedly sound exactly like the original. not sharper (boss) or muddier (analog).

but if you want all those extra bells-n-whistles, the headrush would be good.

i just want a delay.

and it's ultra small (and UBER-CUTE!).:p :oops:

:D

13. My Headrush is an indespensible tool for our dub band. To get around the loop/dry levels being different I ran a line from my "dry" out to the active input on my amp and a line from the "effect" out to the passive input. Blend your signal with the 'Rush's level control and volia'! No level issues. Some amps only have a single input unfortunetly....
    You can hear my Headrush in action, recorded live if you follow the link at the bottom of my posts. I used it on "Ifree" for the skanks, "African Landing"+"Each breath" for the main bass line and "Transonic" for the high bits. No noise or level issues for us...and no guitar player needed! ha!