1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Delays that allow specification of delay time

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by champbassist, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Which is the cheapest delay pedal that allows the dialing in of the delay time in ms? In other words, I want the delay to have an accurate display of the delay you've dialed in.

This is the only reason keeping me from getting a delay pedal and leaving behind the delay on my Zoom B1X : I need to dial in the delay time accurately for what I want to play.

B1X has that option, as do many other multifx. But few standalone pedals have this option. Which is the cheapest one?

2. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Does dialing in mean you don't want to deal with any tap tempos?

What's your budget?

3. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
  4. Indeed, I don't want to deal with tap tempos. I'm just looking at possible options (which are very limited in my knowledge) and the cheapest one among those.

I'm beginning to wonder why there aren't such pedals at cheaper prices, esp. I don't want the hi-fi factor of TC Electronic.

5. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    If I understand you correctly, I think the Electro Harmonix delay pedals might suit your needs at a pretty low price.
    The Memory Man series are all analog, and there are several models, the cheapest being the Memory Toy for about $75 new.
    The #1 Echo is digital and is about $110 new.
    Both are readily available used at Guitar Center.
    I love these pedals for guitar, I haven't used them myself for bass but I've seen some others use them with good results.

6. Actually, I am asking talking about pedals which indicate the exact delay time, say 350 ms, through some sort of a digital interface.

7. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    You could dial in the time with the old Yamaha Magic Stomp. Bunch of really cool other stuff on that thing as well.

8. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    If you can find something cheap that does that, it will be about as good as your Zoom B1x so why change? There's not many non-multi-fx delays with this feature apart from the expensive TC Electronics stuff.

9. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Can't see a display on the Nova linked above - the ND-1 at $249 has the display though. Boss DD-20 is cheaper at $229 on the same site. I have one, and I like it's analog, tape-sim and modulated modes most.

c-

10. dd-20

11. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    My Nova Delay does it, from 1 to 2290 ms, but you still need to dial it in with a knob (as opposed to punching it in on a keypad) and it probably isn't the cheapest one out there.

12. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    The DD-20 can do either ms or bpm, which I love. And you can usually find them used for quite a bit less than that. I like it quite a bit. Very good analog sim. Plus the tone knob is key. EVERY delay should have a tone knob.

13. Yeah that's pretty much what I want. I didn't really make myself clear on a previous post.

I'm getting increasingly convinced about this. The delays I can get out of B1X sound more than satisfying, tbh. Actually, I was surprised to see that the TC Electronic Nova Repeater goes for only about 235 MSRP, 169 on MF. Guess I mixed Eventide up with TC.

14. Peppacone

Peppacone

Jul 24, 2008
    The Boss DD pedals have that and are pretty cheap, especially if you go used. I'm surprised they weren't the first thing mentioned.