Delays with "Hold"

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I didn't know it was possible. I thought in order to have something repeat forever you need a looper. I played with a multi effects unit and discovered hold delay. I had so much fun with that. I laid down a bass track, added some funky guitar, then jumped behind a drum kit and jammed with... me. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH, the insanity.

What's a good (please be cheap) Delay with a hold option.
  2. I believe my old DD2 had a hold function. This was 15 years ago.
  3. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    DOD made a bunch of rackmount digital delays with a hold feature that could be activated with a footswitch. I have an RDS-3600 but there were numerous other models. They usually sell used for about $50 these days.
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Does the DL4 have hold or not? I can't remember.
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I've heard nothing but good things about the DD-2
  7. well, not alot of delay-ability, but the DD3 sorta addresses this.

There's some new-gen BOSS delays that have some real useable sampling times, and can do sound on sound.

The Giga delay

and the Loop Station

fun stuff, but more expensive....
  8. coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    If you think you might be up for a fun project check out the Filter sample and hold at:

It is based on the super funky out of this world oberhiem(sp) filter sample hold.
  9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    For everyones info, I'm talking under $100
  10. Well then your best bets are the older offerings like a DD2 or DD3 or the DOD mentionned.... many many choices.

Hit EBay, type in delay. See what pops up.
  11. mw

Jul 24, 2000
    digitech pds series. one of them (pds-1002) is a 12-bit, 2 second delay that that has two pedals effect on/off and hold release. can be found for about $100 or less.

fun note: the delay can also be sped up/slowed down and it does not skip- it sounds like a tape speeding up/down. same applies when the delay is held. can make some fun ambient noise when a bass is looped and lowed down from 1 sec loop to 2.

sonic youth used them all the time.