1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Delete "for sale" threads after item has sold

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by SteveC, Sep 17, 2008.

1. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    It is very frustrating to do a search for something, get a bunch of hits, and find the items have all been sold. I'd love to see sold item threads removed so they don't keep coming up on searches.

2. derelicte

derelicte

Dec 25, 2007
    NJ/NYC
    1.) just update the title to have something like *SOLD* in it.

2.) move all sold items to a "sold classifieds archive".

deleting is not the answer.

having an archive of classifieds gives people a realistic understanding of going rates and market value. in addition, feedback ratings often refer to these FS/FT links to show what item(s) were involved in the transaction. your frustration seems minuscule compared to the utility it could serve.

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    don't delete, looking at current and/or sold prices is good for TB

4. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Terrible idea, as has been explained already. Threads for sold items can be "locked", allowing them to remain a part of history while not confusing those looking for gear.

5. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    +1, but not closing threads after a sale should receive 1 warning then an infraction. It's annoying.

6. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Good god man, if the mods starting giving infractions for being annoying, there wouldn't be anyone left!!!!!

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    no kidding not only would i be banned from here, but the intarweb would execute me. LOL

8. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Now that's funny! :D

I do agree, however, that sold threads should be kept (not deleted), but closed so they are not confusing to potential buyers.

Hope that wasn't annoying....:ninja:

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    you're banned!!! LOL ;)

10. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Finally!! :bag: :smug:

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    What about a lock after maybe a couple weeks of thread inactivity?

12. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    That's a possibility, but I think a couple of weeks is too soon.....sometimes it just takes a while to get the right buyer, and you see some older threads result in a deal. Maybe more like a couple of months before it locks down.

13. JoshB

JoshB A great man is always willing to be little. -RWE Supporting Member

You guys are supposed to close your own threads, and frankly, we don't have time to close them for you.

I try to close them if I see them sold, but frankly, I have a life off of this website, and a gig that keeps me busy on top of work, so again, we can't hit them all.

14. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    But don't closed threads show up in searches as well?

I get the historical part, but I don't think this is a minuscule issue.

15. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN

Yes they do; thats the point. If you, as a potential buyer, see that a thread is closed, then you know not to click on it. Yet those of us looking for comps can still use that data. It's a pretty good system that really doesn't need changing.

16. Brim

Brim

Nov 20, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    A sold (locked) classified thread sub-forum would be a great idea. Then you could only search the "live" for sale forum. I'm with you SteveC.

17. Perhaps adding an option in the advanced search menu to omit closed threads could work. I have absolutely no idea what it would take to implement that though. I'm guess it would be a lot of work.