1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

[Deleted]

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by InkWalk, Apr 15, 2018.

1. InkWalk

InkWalk

Mar 17, 2018

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018 at 8:49 AM
  2. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I don't think that's unusual. And anyway, the strings shouldn't be really relying on having a grip around the outer part of the post - they should be locked in by the way you start the wrap.

I know you said you know how to correctly wrap strings, but just for the heck of it, what's your method? Can't hurt to review.

Should be -
    1) Unroll the new string, get the ball end set in the bridge.
    2) Figure where the string needs to be cut for the correct length. I go about 4" past the tuner post, this'll give you 3-4 wraps around the post once tuned up to pitch.
    3) Before you cut the string, make a sharp 90 degree bend in the string with a pair of pliers. This locks the strings windings in place. It's only absolutely required with round core strings, but it doesn't hurt with hexagonal cores, so it's a good "just in case" habit.
    4) Cut the string about 3/4" from the bend you made.
    5) Insert the 3/4" bent end into the hole in the center of the tuner post.
    6) Bend the string sharply where it exits the slot in the tuner post, in the direction it will wind around the post.
    7a) If you've got a bridge that is slotted at the ball end, you can take the string out of the bridge and get one or two wraps around the post quickly, then reinsert the ball in the bridge and tune up to pitch. Make double-sure the string isn't twisted.
    7b) If you've got a more "vintage" style bridge that has holes for the ball end, it's probably best to be patient and just start turning the tuner key to get it up to tension. You can cheat a wrap or two on the post by wrestling it around by hand, but you have to be careful to let the ball end spin freely as you're doing this.

Got to avoid twisting the string. I know some people will just "undo" twisted strings by tuning up, then loosening the string to let the ball spin to where it settles, but I think it's better to avoid bringing a twisted string up to tension in the first place. You wouldn't just put a bend somewhere in the middle of the string and then straighten it back out, right?

3. I don't see how the tuning peg could be the problem with the channels you have pictured. I would be inclined to look at the way the strings are being loaded also.

Giffro, carl h. and john m like this.
  4. inanimate_carb

inanimate_carb

Aug 11, 2016
    Is that a Fender Marcus Miller? There should be no problem installing strings and getting them to tune up properly. Scratches and/or wear marks don’t matter. Thousands of other MM owners haven’t had this issue. User error....

5. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Phillipsburg, NJ
    Let's see a Pic with the string installed.

Also, There are alternate ways to Load the string that prevent slipping. I'll try to post a good illustration.

Giffro likes this.
  6. Warhawk

Warhawk

Jan 31, 2003
    Canton, Ohio
    I see marks but no "channels". If your strings are slipping then they are not installed correctly, unless the tuners themselves are at fault. I've seen some crap tuners that would move backwards making for a bass that couldn't be tuned.

Giffro likes this.
  7. InkWalk

InkWalk

Mar 17, 2018

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    godofthunder59 likes this.
  8. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Phillipsburg, NJ
    Stilltryin, DavC, BOOG and 9 others like this.
  9. Gnal

Gnal

Apr 22, 2014
    Going off that picture, I’d recommend you inset the tip of the string down into the center of the peg, then bend out of the slot and tune to pitch. That will insure you do not slip since the string is essentially hooked into the peg.

10. InkWalk

InkWalk

Mar 17, 2018

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018 at 8:49 AM
  11. FenderOli

FenderOli

Jun 6, 2014
    Germany
    irisluckhaus_lilylux_knoten1_700.

Palstek?

12. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    No one is angry. Only sad.

St_G, BOOG, Giffro and 3 others like this.
  13. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Man, I had forgotten how much I like pretzels!

BigBear77, Giffro and FenderOli like this.
  14. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Phillipsburg, NJ
    Sorry, I actually thought you were joking around.
    I have actually seen Machine heads break from the way you have installed the strings. They can snap in 1/2.
    As stated before, Push the string down into the hole inside the slot 1st. Then wrap it around the outside of the shaft.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Giffro likes this.
  15. Ya gotta admit, that pic is pretty funny. lol

bhoff5150, St_G, BOOG and 12 others like this.
  16. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    This is how to do it.

17. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    Not good, no wonder you're having problems. +1 on inserting the string end into the center hole of the post. That's why it's there. This is definitely not a problem with the machines.

18. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Are you sure?

19. thewildest

thewildest Supporting Member

May 25, 2011
    Montreal
    Microbass, Giffro and Chrisk-K like this.
  20. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    :woot:

Giffro likes this.