1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Delicious irony! Nations rush to claim oil reserves under melting ice caps!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by soulgeezer, Aug 21, 2007.

1. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Banned

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    Endorsing Artist: Red Zone Effects
  2. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    doh-hohohoho!!!!

oh man, that's just awsome. The hypocrisy is fantastic: the government is rallying to "save the planet", and here we are drilling for oil in the ice caps that are supposed to be saved.

sad? maybe, I personally find it very funny.

3. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    What comes around goes around!

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I HATE when my Iced Cap melts :(

icecap.

5. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    friggin' humans. Dumber than monkeys.

6. Nappa

Nappa

Dec 20, 2006
    Fargo,North Dakota
    ---------------------------------:D

--------------------------------:scowl:

-------------------------------:crying:

The Humanity!

7. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    How stupid. Everyone knows there's no such thing as global warming. :)

8. Matt_W

Matt_W

May 3, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    Hah-de-Hah. :p

9. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    If you weren't a mod, I'd say that you enjoy angering republicans and making them be rude to you. But you're a mod. So I won't. But I'll enjoy seeing the replies to your post when they wake up. :D

10. +1 :rollno: I can imagine to what side "Der Spiegel" Magazine tilts :eyebrow: Next thing, we'll see Dick Cheney and Karl Rove up there clubbing baby seals to make room for the oil rigs :spit:

11. Of course there is such a thing as global warming. The only question is what the cause is. Most people seem to agree with the CO2 theory, that from a scientific standpoint is the least probable cause.

IMO, thinking that our miniscule raise in CO2 (compared to the massive output from other unhuman sources on this planet) would change the enviroment is pretty naive. Look up guys, there is a whole universe that has changed global weather since the morning of time.

People need to be more critical to the enviromental problem that is imaged by the media. There is of course plenty of enviromental problems concerning dangerous gasses and materials, but I assure you CO2 is NOT a dangerous gas!

If everyone took some extra chemistry and biology at school maybe this "CO2 blaming" would be a little more open for other theories and maybe the now competing scientific branches could work together, and we could start working on how we could meet the problem rather then prevent it. Global warming comes wether we like it or not, it has happened since the earth was created.

Remember guys and girls, there is a whole industry that lives through the public believing that CO2 is baaad.

If this is too political or too much for OT, please some mod correct me.

12. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    No, I'm just fond of irony and I find it ironic that there are people around totally convinced there's no such thing as global warming and also people totally convinced they know that it's happening and what's causing it. Somebody, somewhere is so wrong you just have to see the funny side or it would be really, really depressing. The political "side" such people are on is of little relevance to me (although I accept it might be of more interest to others).

For the record, based on what I've read my own opinion is that it seems likely we are experiencing a change in global climate and that may (or may not) be influenced by human activity. I don't know enough about it to be certain and it's obvious that a lot of people who are certain have got this all wrong.

13. That was kind of my point aswell.

The thought of CO2 as a bad gas is just hammered in our heads by the media.

Just think about it, none of the scientists that say otherwise does come in the media, all we see is people warning about new storms and ice cap melting.

Few recognize that we have been in a very cold period right now, peeking in the mid 70's actually. Surprisingly the CO2 level in the 70's where blooming, that and many other examples and theories has made me think twice about what we get served in the media.

Remember people, ice cap melting is as common as the sun showing up every morning.

There has actually been tropical climate in scandenavia not long ago, and there was vinyards in northern scotland during the medieval times.

There is just to many pointers for me, proving that CO2 based global warming theories are just a little bit to easy.

14. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    i wonder what would have happened if "an incovenient truth" had been a newt gingrich film instead of an al gore film.

15. Matt_W

Matt_W

May 3, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    It sounds like you really don't want to believe.

Personally I was on the fence, until I started reading Scientific magazines, and they ALL the articles seem to agree that it is happening and it is our fault.

CO2 is a "bad gas", but it is not the only contributing factor to climate change. The argument that it was going to happen anyway seems a little stupid, as there is no reason to exacerbate the problem by dumping millions of tonnes of greenhouse gas into the atmosphere every year. You might as well say that if someone had lung cancer they might as well play with asbestos.

16. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    If that land belongs to anybody it belongs to Canada and possibly Denmark. I don't even know why the US is trying to claim it.

17. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    oh no, not another war.... :bawl: those darn evildoers north of greenland...

18. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    To make it worth the trip, they could round up a bunch of seals and render their fat for the oil as well!

19. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Awesome idea, I'd love to see it.

And y0 d00ds: I'm not at all afraid of CO2, but why don't they at least SAY that we're at risk of burning all the oxygen? Now THAT would be scary. Climate change? Who cares? So a few spotted turd owls will die... boohooo.

20. Matt_W

Matt_W

May 3, 2007
    Leeds, UK

I think the idea that potentially millions in Africa would face starvation and disposition, Europe (theoretically) could descend into an ice age etc. is a pretty scary idea. If it really were a matter of a few " spotted turd Owls" not much of a fuss would be being made by the scientific community.