Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Delima!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by iriegnome, Jul 14, 2005.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    OK, here it is. I have studied and studied woods and numbers and radius' and I have chosen a Mahogony (solid 1 piece) body and a Maple/Maple Neck with a 10" Radius and 1-3/4" nut width. I am having a Music Man style pick up route. My problem is, Which pickup? Any suggestions? :confused:

2. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Seymore Duncan Bassline MM pickup. What kind of preamp will you be using?

3. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I actually wanted to go passive. Basslines though? Why? (I don't know anything about pickups.)

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

in my experience with MM's you basically have 3 options with the popular ones: Bart, Ceramic, or Alnico 5. Alnico 5's all basically sound like the Ray - with the Nord 4.4 you've got a quad but don't know if you can split all 4 coils or if you have any need for that. The ceramic are noticeably brighter with less of a vintage tone. The Barts are pretty signature Bart in tone and most similar to a Lane Poor than there are to any of the others. The Bart MM classic I haven't had so don't know about that one but it's probably still going to be more Bart than anything. Dimento's "MM experiment" has about a dozen MM's reviewed.