Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

delining a fretless

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fr0me0, Oct 17, 2005.

1. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I read the other thread but it seems that delining is different in every case. I've got a frettless fender jazz and I really like the look of no fret markers and I think it'd look even cleaner without the lines.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here's the pics. Fret lines appear to be inlayed so sanding isn't an option, do you think there's anyway I could stain it (or is there some other kind of product I could use) and do you think the lines would take the stain to?

and yes I realize closing my eyes is free and takes alot less work but I think the look of no fret markers looks really clean, and would look even nicer without the line.

2. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    What I would suggest is this: get thyself an unlined replacement neck, of the Warmoth or MightyMite, or USAGTR variety, and put that on your bass. This way, your bass retains all of it's value should you sell it, and you MIGHT end up with a better neck than you have now, esp if you go with Warmoth. I am in no way suggesting the other two are lesser than warmoth, just that I have only used warmoth and been very pleased with their stuff.

Lee

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    +1

with the caveat that USA Custom Guitar makes really nice stuff and have super-great customer service for such things.

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Didn't we have this a week or two ago?
    Oh wait, was it Luthier's corner?
    Check there, too.