Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dell computer on ebay??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ty McNeely, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    My mom is in the market to buy a new (CHEAP) desktop computer. I was just perusing Ebay and I stumbled upon these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2777213064&category=51140

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2777212777&category=51140

For those of you too lazy to look, the top one is a Dell Dimension 2400 and the second one is a Dell Dimension 4600. These computers are supposedly unopened, direct from Dell. The picture shown on BOTH auctions is the exact same picture. These computers (both valued at over $1200 by my best guesstimate) are going for $359.00 and $431.00, respectively.

Sound like a sham or what? If I *DID* bid on it (which I won't because there's only 10 minutes left in both auctions), what recourse would I have if they were NOT what they were advertised to be?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Well, I chimed in a bit late. But I hope you didn't buy one.

It is a hassle to transfer the warranty from one other to the other, trusting the other guy would do it for sure. If they are willing to transfer the ownership to you, then it is a good deal.

However, after their shipping cost, buying the same thing from Dell is not that much more.

-Mike

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I bought a 2400 for my wife, exactly the same as the first one. SHe wanted a computer to on the net and do some office work.
    I paid 400$ canadian (about 300USD) direct from Dell. It was a promotion with my ISP. I added some ram (128 with XP is not enough!!) and it's a great computer.
    We have 2 computer at home, it's 2 dell and I have nothing bad to say about them.

5. this is not a far-out price... the processor+mainboard is probably around $150-200, HDD $80-100, memory ~$20, cdrom ~$25, keyboard $10-20, mouse $10-20...

of course I don't know exact prices on this, but those would be my guesses...