1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dell Inspiron 518 V.S. Dell Studio 540

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Lammchop93, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I'm gonna be getting my own computer here soon, and I'm stuck between these two computers. I found a good deal on both.

Both are Quad core and have 4000MB RAM. I will upgrade a better sound card, and after that a graphics card.

I plan on using this mainly for recording with Protools, and some games here and there, listening to music, and internet.

The Inspiron is $430, and the studio 540 is $470.

Opinions please?:confused:

2. Neither. Dells blow. Substandard hardware all around. Save a little more and get a Gateway if you are stuck buying a windows machine.

lowsound

3. I like Dell personally, and you are obviously biased against Windows, so that speaks for itself... but... to each their own I suppose.

I have never had a problem with Dell before, no crashes, no viruses, good customer service. I just think you need to know how to use Windows properly, and it runs really smooth.

I think the new Dell Studio stuff is more for show than anything else, I still think the Inspirons are a better bang for the buck. The studio series seems to be mostly for aesthetic purposes.

4. +1 if you've got some extra cash go for the Gateway FX series.

5. Gateway??? Gateway???!!!??? Is it April 1st already?

6. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I've had two Dells to date - Inspiron 6000 for 3 years and Insprion 1500 for about 12 months. The first is my general day to day PC (using it now) and the second is the core of my studio. Both have been great machines so far.

7. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    The Studio is better meant for customization and work-oriented stuff. The Inspiron series are "family" computers. They're pretty close in terms of performance, AFAIK.

So for recording and stuff, I'd go for the Studio, and modify it as needed.

8. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    ide say if you were interested, maybe try to get a used XPS, or, dell offers no interest financing for a year on the XPS Desktops. They are really a big step up from the inspiron series too!

9. Lammchop93

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    ok, thanks. This is going to my personal desktop. I'm going to be doing all my school work on it. I want to be able to upgrade it, so the Studio is a plus there. The more expansion bays, the better.:smug:

anymore opinions is greatly appreciated.

and I will look into an XPS.

I have about a $500 spending limit.

10. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    Gateway doesn't make a very good machine
    I've tried them all the best pre built pcs out there are lenovo and HP.

Lenovo thinkcenters are absolute tanks of machines.

obviously the best option is getting a geek friend to build one for you you'd get better hardware in that price range.

11. Agree. I recently got a P-7811fx laptop, and it's just a sick machine.

I was never a Gateway fan until I bought a laptop off evil-bay many years ago. The guy tried to screw me and not send the machine after I paid him $800. After filing countless complaints with everyone possible, he finally sent it FedEx... In a box twice it's size with ZERO insulation or padding in the box. Just the laptop and the cord. I was positive the machine would be toasted. Surprisingly enough, it worked perfectly, and never once hiccuped in the years I've had it. It was totally reliable and ran great. When I got this FX, I reformatted and did a clean Windows install on that laptop and gave it to my g/f. She loves it.

12. Lammchop93

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I might get a custom built one off ebay. I don't have any friends capable of building one. lol:smug:

I want something that is very upgradable, and I can add things later on down the road to it.

13. I bought a Dell Studio "MT-116B" from Best Buy a few months ago, and I've been happy with it.

One thing to watch out for, since you're planning to upgrade sound and video cards: make sure that the system comes with an adequate power supply for the upgrades. I think mine came with a 350-watt power supply, and someone told me that I'd probably need to replace it with a larger one before I could upgrade the video card.

14. Lammchop93

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    yeah, I knew that. I have a buddy who knows tons about computer, and could put one together, but I really don't want him building one. lol:smug:

15. I love my old Inspiron 8600 or whatever, but Dell isn't what Dell used to be since they sold all their US manufacturing locations. Most stuff is made overseas now, for better or worse. I don't know what the quality is like, the old stuff is great though. I hate the very idea of Gateway but fortunately they are null and void so it's not really an issue is it?

16. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    I didn't think that was possible.
    Really if you can work and old school nintendo (plug the cartridge in) you can build a computer.

Alot of times computer stores will help you pick out the parts in your price range, I know Micro Center does.
    Building it yourself ensures the best possibility of upgrading it later. You'll know exactly what you have in it which will help you buy parts later.

still think you should go with a lenovo above all the other consumer brands.

17. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    Wow if you could show me a board that's actually manufactured in america I'd be really impressed.