Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Delta 10's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MODNY, Jan 26, 2006.

1. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    Hello,
    many of you have probably read some of my posts about my 2x8 beta load eminence cab.

i'm VERY interested in getting a 4x10 bass cab made aswell by the same builder as my 2x8 because i am very happy with it!

i'm looking for a high power 10 inch speaker. i have my crest ca-9 bridged, so it would be a 4 ohm load. 2000 watts.

i'm interested in the delta 10's because 4 of them can handle 1400 watts.

are these the speakers that are in schroeder 4x10's?

does anyone have experience with using these speakers?

any reccomendations?

Merci

-modny

2. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    to be honest, i have no idea what those charts mean. but i tink i did read in there that the kappa and the delta aren't even good for bass applications.

3. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    The deltas have a short Xmax, 2x-4x less than that of the average low frequency woofer. So the speaker can't move very far and stay within spec, which means they can't produce low bass at especially high SPLs. The delta is no good for bass amplification

4. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    thanks for that x-planation. i erally appreciate it.

should i look at something like a gamma 10 ?

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The Gamma 10 is NG as well. Ignore wattage ratings, they mean next to nothing. The lowly Beta 10 will actually go lower/louder than any of it's more expensive high wattage Greek siblings. The BP102 is better still, but lacks midrange. A great set-up would be two BP102s next to (not over or under) two B102 'whizzies', with the cab subdivided inside, sealed on the B102s, vented on the BP102s.

6. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    who makes BP 102's etc

i have beta 8's in another cab i have and they are amazing

7. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    oh, i just checked those speakers out, they look great.

would i still need a tweeter with the whizzer cones on the 2 speakers?

also, where can i find 16 ohm models?

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Yeah, I don't think I even talked about xmax there. But of the three in the graphs, the saving grace for the Avatar Deltalite is that it's spec'd with more xmax. At least in the Avatar cabs; I don't know if you order raw Deltalite 10s from there if that's true or not.

None of those speakers is especially exciting if you want to be somewhere in the vicinity of the Delta 12 LF for low end.

9. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    well the thing is, i play EVERYTHING..... i use my 2x8 cab for jazzier stuff because u dont need high volume. but it also works wellin high volume situations.

should i be looking at 10's or 12's? i dunno..

i think i want 10's though..because from what i know they are better for "thump style"bass playing. but honestly, i dont know **** about speakers, i just listen to what BFM says.

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Really should get WinISD or something. And read what Bill says about T-S and specsmanship. Personally, I don't care much about whether something is 10 or 12 diameter because what matters is a particular speaker, and whether it's going into a two-way or a three-way, stuff like that.

Some of my favorite drivers lately are coming from the newer neos from BMS out of Germany. http://www.bmspro.info/

...Anyone see anything about the second-gen neos from Eminence at the show/yet?

11. Why don't most manufacturers make 4ohm speakers as an option?

12. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    With whizzers you may not need a tweeter, but that's a matter of personal taste. I wouldn't run 16 ohm drivers, I'd do 8s, with each matched pair in series, the two banks parallel for a total 8 ohm load so if you ever wanted to add another a 4 ohm capable amp would handle it. I'd also run it with 1st order filters, a high pass on the B102s at 100 Hz to push the lows into the BP102s, and a high pass on the BP102s at 2kHz, to push the highs into the B102s, with all four drivers working together from 100Hz to 2kHz.

13. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    hey...

thats a killer idea, but would there still be bass coming from the whizy's? i dont wanna have likea bi-amped box type thing, because then wouldn't i be better off to have just a 2x10 with a tweeter??

i dunno..i like that sounds of that idea thouuhgh

14. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    The whizzies would still be contributing in the bass, a 6dB filter would just insure that you wouldn't max out their capabilities long before those of the BP102s.

15. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    thanks for all the info. bill, i have pm'd you once again.

i was thinking about possibly making this cabinet with like a roadcase outer shell type deal.mostley because i have a huge pet peeve about beat up cabs. to be honest, how much it weighs doesn't really concern me (aslong as its not over like 100lbs. i dont think it should be anyways.) but i was thinking something along the lines of those road ready mesa cabinets. with the removeable front panel. because its such a big cab, i understand its gonna get marked up and ****, and i kinda like my gear to last for a really long time so i figure the RR cab style will extend its life BIG TIME.

this way i dont really car about scratches and marks. and i wont be so anal when other people wanna help move some gear. :meh: and i know everything will be kept safe during transport etc ( i also have RR 8 space with all my rack gear in her, SOOO much better than a wimpy SKB)

any thoughts?

16. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004

i think because you have more options available to you with 8 ohm drivers?

like i was saying, i was wondering if i should get 16 ohm drivers for this cab, and bill said to just get 4 8 ohm drivers, match them in series ( 2 pairs of 16 ohm drivers) and then run them paralell off each other so the overall impedence is 8 ohms.. pretty sweet actually...

this way i can always add another one if i want...( probably wont, but u never know..)

17. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004