1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Delta 18-36 Drum Sander

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by gbarcus, Apr 2, 2011.

1. gbarcus

gbarcus Commercial User

Jul 20, 2008
    Minneapolis & St.Paul, MN
    Owner of Barcus Basses barcusbasses.com
    I'm going to pickup a used Delta 31-250 18-36 drum sander for $650 on Monday. Anybody use this or know of any reason I should not get it? Seems to be in good shape from the pictures. I've seen some concern in other posts about open ended sanders.
    Just want to make sure it'll be worth the money/time/effort.

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    The Delta is an excellent unit, no reason not to, and most commentary about open ended drum sanders is based more in theory than reality. If you take care of your equipment, it will serve you as well as most closed sanders. You'll love it.

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    What was the new price on this tool? How old is it?

I have a Delta open ended drum sander. I used to like it a lot. As it has gotten older, it has developed a couple of problems. One is the mechanism for raising and lowering the table. The belt has gotten loose and it now slips frequently. It requires almost constant attention to keep the table aligned with the drum. I *think* a new belt might make it better. The other problem, which it acquired almost immediately, is that the feed belt never tracks straight. If you don't pay attention and keep it off the edge of the table, it will track into it an tear. Once it tears, it is prone to bunching up under the workpiece and then you are screwed. Feed belts are pretty expensive.

That said, I do use it a lot and it is a perfectly usable tool. But I would check for those problems and make sure the unit runs smoothly without vibration. A new Grizzly 18/36 is $900.

4. gbarcus

gbarcus Commercial User

Jul 20, 2008
    Thanks for the input. I'll be testing the unit when I pick it up, so I'll keep those things in mind.

5. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    The Delta 18-36 is a nice small shop sander. Keep in mind that effective dust collection isn't optional with these machines; I recommend at least 1100 CFM.

Whenever you change abrasive, re-tension after the first few passes. If you don't, it can stretch, become misaligned, and self-destruct.

In my experience, these machines perform best when "babied;" in an environment where ~900 students per semester share three finishing sanders, we limit depth of cut to about .005" per pass: more aggressive sanding creates alignment problems and makes parts self-destruct prematurely.

Granted, a lone woodworker can postpone the inevitable a lot longer than a college woodworking program; but, these are the practical limits we've learned the hard way over years of continuous use.

6. gbarcus

gbarcus Commercial User

Jul 20, 2008
    Picked up the drum sander yesterday. Thing looks brand new and works like a charm. Pretty good deal for the price. It even came with a rolling stand.

7. gbarcus

gbarcus Commercial User

Jul 20, 2008
    IMG_0404.jpg

Just tried it a redwood burl top. still needs some finishing, but man did that just save me a ton of work.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021