Delta 44 for a Laptop?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Big Benner, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Hey everyone,

A buddy of mine had a desktop recording set-up using a Delta 44 break out box going into the PCI card on his desktop computer. Now he's bought a top of the line laptop and was wondering if there were any adaptors ?USB cables so that he can still use the Delta 44?

Also, if he can't use the Delta 44, what would be a similar card for laptop use that won't break the bank?

2. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    I would not pursue trying to get the 44 to work on a laptop. Try the Firewire 1814. That would be the better choice in my mind, much more flexable than the 44, though more $$$. May also try the the 410, just depends on if he has to have 4 analog inputs.
  3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    The break out box is just that.....a break out box. The PCI card is the analog to digital interface and mixer. Given this, you can't really use it with a laptop since you can't slot the PCI card.
  4. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    This is a bit off topic, but benner.... what is that bass in your avatar? It is beautiful!!!
  5. You are right. Sorry, I should have thought of that. It's the PCI Card that is doing the Analogue to Digital conversion. Thanks Baba
  6. Lakland Skyline lined fretless 5-string. Here is an orginal photo before I messed around with it in Photoshop,... and another photo is was doing for fun. Thanks for the compliment.

7. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    sweet.... :hyper:

what kind of bass would you compare it too? Does she play well?
  8. Great basses. I think most people around Talk Bass love them, great bass for the money especially the Skyline series.

Here's a another pic of a 4 string with the same Natural finish as mine:

Active EQ - Bass, Mid & Treble, pickup blend and Volume (with EQ bypass when you pull the knob out). I bought this lined fretless a year ago for $900 Canadian and am quite comfortable to jump from fretted to fretless. Great bass.
  9. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    I agree with droog this card of M-audio is very good.
    Firewire is known as a more stable architecture compared to USB 2.0.

M-audio made a deal with protools and now they have the M-powered thing which allows you to use protools together with some of M-audio's soundcards (Up untill now only Digidesign soundcards could work with pro tools).

Tell him to sell the delta 44 add some money and buy this new one.
    Of course if he need 4 anlog Inputs (I doubt it) he will have to choose something else).
  10. Thanks Adisu and Droog. I think that we have already started looking at other units to replace the Delta 44, but I just have a couple of questions.

With the M-audio Firewire 1814, does it have a total of 8 inputs (2 mic/inst preamps on the front and 6 useable [actually 8, 2 of them being taken by the front] 1/4inch line level inputs on the back)? So I could use the front for 2 vocal mics, line out of Pod for guitar, FX send from bass amp and a four channel mixer for the drums? $599.95USD isn't cheap, it might be out of my price range.

My other thought was the Presonus Firebox ( Cheaper price with only four inputs. Perhaps two mics straight into the front preamps for the drums, bass and guitar direct into the 1/4inch line in the back and then over dub the vocals.

Any thoughts? How does Presonus compare to M-Audio? The comment "Firewire is known as a more stable architecture compared to USB 2.0" makes sence to me.
  11. adisu

Apr 8, 2005
    Like you said when you correct yourself 2 MIC in (preamp)
    and 8 LINE in on the back. (on the link to the 1814 that droog gave you before ,click the picture and you'll get an enlarge picture of both front and back of the FW 1814 )

About the money as i said before sell you old one and then you will only have to complete the difference.

I don't know this soundcard but by it's specifications
    i can say it suppose to be a good Soundcard...the only problem i see is that i don't know this company and i don't know if they have good AD/DA convertors for their soundcard.
    I know M-audio AD/DA convertors are quite good and mostly have a satisfying quality for home recordings.

Yes, Firewire is known as a more stable architecture compared to USB 2.0" , i don't remember the exact technical reason but my computer teacher at college said it in one of his lectures.
  12. Cool, thanks Adisu.

My birthday is also March 19th.

13. adisu

Apr 8, 2005
    Cool mate , same day, we should have no problems to get along!!!!
    Pisces is a wonderfull sign.
    So you just passed through another decade ....
    was there a 30 years old crisis????http://www.[malware url removed].com/smilies/confused/confused0068.gif
    Got to know i'll be there in 3 years !!!!!! :crying: