1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Delta DD-1 Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SurferJoe46, Nov 2, 2010.

1. I'm playing with this, as I find it totally useless for the reason why I bought it - delay effect for my harmonicas.

So - I tried it with my MXR DI+ and even though the MXR won't tolerate the DD-1 after itself, I can use it before it in the effects lineup.

I see the DD-1 has a 'B' channel output and I was wondering if you can use a much smaller amp and cab for the stereo effect.

Since - I reason - this is just going to carry a delay of the main signal - Signal A - the quality may not have to be as powerful as the main amp/combo unit.

What do you think?

I'm trying to not have to take twin amps/cabs etc when I use it - but mostly I just wonder if the effect would be lost that way.

Any idea why the MXR DI+ won't allow the DD-1 to run after it?

:confused:

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Are you powering both of them off a daisy chain power supply?

3. Uh huh. :eyebrow:

Is that wrong? I'm using a 1 Spot and I know that the polarity is correct.

4. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Hmmm... I was going to say one of them must have reverse polarity. Oh well. But I suppose even if the polarity is correct, there is a chance that their internal grounding schemes are incompatible. Can you describe exactly what it does wrong, or what it doesn't do?

5. If I put it inline after the MXR, the sound quits. NADA

Oh - and it makes a lot of noise there, but not in front of the MXR.

If I put it before, it runs just fine - but the instructions on the DD-1 says to try to run it at the end of the line before the preamp. It just won't work there and I wonder if that's a problem or not.

I can get all sorts of slap and delay and intensity and all - but if I am missing a critical part of it's operation that's what I want to know.

I always plug into the padded input - so that should not be a problem - right?

6. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    The only reason they say to put it last in the chain is so all of your other effects will go into the delay sound, which will sound most "normal" to most people.

It's a problem that the pedal won't work there, but only because it doesn't work--not because of any issue with it being last in the chain.

Only use the padded input on your amp if you would otherwise get unwanted clipping at the input at the amp, from having a hot/loud instrument signal. Either way though, that should not have any effect on the function of the pedal.

Are you sure you're using the correct inputs and outputs on the pedals? I know that sounds dumb, but believe me--it happens.

7. Yeah - I can use just this stomp and it does what it's supposed to do - the IN and OUT are plainly marked and I just feel that the MXR dislikes not being on the caboose of the pedal train.

You think the MXR output is too hot for the DD-1?

Here in this pix:::

100_7263.

The RED colored ID is IN from the bass through the DD-1 and from there I go IN to the MXR.

There is a split off from the MXR to my tuner - and I know that with or without that there's no change in the DD-1 or the MXR at all - so I can rule that out.

The tuner is NOT in the signal loop at all.

8. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Huh--I'm stumped!

9. I'll try playing with it all again in the AM.

If I get any success, I'll post it here.

Thanks so far.

10. OK - I tried it again after the MXR with the MXR ON & OFF - and it still won't work there. Gack!

What I discovered was that you can use some seriously deficient amps or combos for your second or 'B' channel.

Not that it won't work well on another big unit and sizable drivers, but you can get just as much fun with (get this!) a 15 Watt Fender practice amp!

Yup - really. It works just fine as the second channel since the main cab/amp is carrying the tone anyway and the delay is just added icing on the tone-cake. I think it's even clearer with the HIGHs turned MAX on the li'l Fender BP-15 and the LOWs off: keeps the farts to a minimum too.

Just in case you wuz wondering.