1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Delta is tellin me i cant have a short scale in overhead?!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by blowabs, Mar 26, 2009.

1. blowabs

blowabs

Apr 7, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    OMG......are they kidding!!!.....the ss bass is in a elec guitar gig bag....on the phone she said, I dont know....lemme look....ahhhh..... no.

I have heard of guys flying out the country with no problem.

I am just goin to Cleveland (R&R HoF inductee wknd)

Should i take a chance a print up my boarding pass and ask/plead at the plane's door-- if it wont fit in the overhead-- (i dont see why not -- its 44" long)?

2. In the past year or so airlines have really tightened up the dimensions they will allow carry on bags to be. Several that I've flown on have a little frame or box and if your bag can't fit into it, it has to be checked.

No way will a guitar case or gig bag fit.

3. blowabs

blowabs

Apr 7, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    One of the reasons i got this Short scale was to be able to put it in the overhead.......BUMME:meh:R!

4. Here's Delta's carry on limit:

Delta Air Lines accepts one carry-on item per passenger, the approximate dimensions of the baggage (length + width + height) must not be greater than 45 inches per piece and weight must not exceed 40 lb. per piece.

So, you've pretty well shot the whole wad just in length.

Southwest is even more specific:

Southwest Airlines limits carryon bag dimensions to 10x16x24 inches.

5. alapantera

alapantera

Mar 22, 2004
    Wisconsin
    This will most likely just end up with you also not on the flight.

You could A.) buy another plane ticket (not sure if this would actually work), B.) find a case that you can check, C.) rent/borrow an instrument where you'll be playing.... I'm sure there are other options out there as well.

6. i bring my baby taylor with me everywhere i fly.. so i know the feeling of buying a small guitar to travel with. see if they can keep it in the coat closet or something. there was a thread about flying with basses a while back and someone said that usually works.

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I've never had a problem carrying a bass in a padded gig onto a plane and stowing it in an overhead compartment, except for on smaller planes like regional jets (even so, the flight attendants are always very helpful with alternate stowage). I fly mostly American Airlines.

8. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    The bass will usually fit in an overhead. You put it in sideways and flat. I never have a problem. Sometimes the flight the flight crew will say to me...." Oh...let me take that for you...I'll put it in the closet". That happened to me twice just last week. Of course anything can happen, but I don't seem to have problems with this. I see students getting on board with acoustic guitars all the time and those are worse than a bass in a gigbag. The dimensions for carry-on mentioned earlier are correct....but I get on anyway and with my backpack which does fit the dimensions lol.

9. wilsonn

wilsonn

Sep 26, 2005
    New York
    I've never had a smile and a friendly word fail to allow me to bring an instrument or a tripod onto a plane. It also helps if you're dressed nicely....I'm not saying suit and tie, rather I'd leave the torn Megadeath shirt in the luggage and turn up looking somewhat respectable and you'll be just fine almost every time.