Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

delta lf in a bag end s12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brooklynbassguy, Mar 16, 2006.

1. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    What could I expect putting a delta lf into a bag end s12 cab? Would I get a darkerricher sound and maybe less efficiency, or would it just sound like poo?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The only way to even venture a guess is to know what it is that you're replacing.

3. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    Bill, I was hoping for your input, as you are one of the gurus. I would be replacing the stock 12" speaker. This is the standard bag end 12" cab. I want to increase the low end response of this cabinet, if it's possible. In it's current form, there seems to be a steep roll off below 70-80hz. I'm hoping for something lower...

4. Brooklyn, if you aren't satisfied with the low end output of that cab, sell it and buy a cab that is designed to go lower.

The Bag End cube cabs are designed to be very compact and have a distinct sound that doesn't go ultra low. In fact, the S12 you have is more of a guitar cab than a bass cab, although some bassists combine it with the S15 cabs.

Also, the BE cube cabs' ports are just a round cutout in the back of the cab. I suppose if you fabricated a port tube yourself that would fit the cab and be airtight, you could tune the cab, but you'd need to build an elbow into the tube so it would be long enough.

IMHO, it would be a lot better just to sell that cab for $150-$200 (if in good shape) and get another one ready to go. For example, you could get a used Aguilar 112 for about $300 that produces good output down to 40 Hz.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The difficulty lies in knowing what it is that Bag End used; I've no clue. But as for getting a lot lower response, unless the Bag End driver is a total piece of crap, which I doubt, chances are pretty good that the low end is restricted by the cabinet size.

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The S-12D is 3 db down at 50 if I read the spec's right. They pull in the $250 range in good shape. If you want a cab to go deeper. You're going to have to pony up for a larger cabinet...